Filgrastim

• 16 replies
  • 316 subscribers

I’ve currently had 2 rounds of EC and after each round I’m given 7 days of filgrastim injections. When I did the first 7 injections, I found the first 5 I was fine with. The 6/7th ones were hideous! It felt like birthing 6 babies naturally one after the other without pain relief! It was a shock to start with as I didn’t really know what was going on and whether it was right or wrong and how much was ‘too much’. When I told my chemo nurses they just kind of smiled sweetly and I got the impression I just needed to get on with it.

So tonight is my second round of night six….. I know what I’m in for this time and I’m prepared for it…. If you have any experiences with this, what did you find helpful? x

• Daughter needed these (different cancer) and was advised that the day before, she should begin taking Clarytin (or its generic name Loratidine) daily. It did help prevent some of that back and bone pain. I know it’s an odd use of an antihistamine but worth a try. 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• Thank you. I will check with my team next week when I’m back for the next round if I’m allowed to have them x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Yes, my after effects started immediately after 1st Filgrastim but I used to do them around 6.30pm, have dinner then try to sleep through the after effects around 10pm.  Just as they’re wearing off, back ache etc, the next lot were due! I wish you well. Time will fly! Best wishes xxx

• Hi, I feel for you, I was the same and also got headaches, the hospital reduced me to 5 injections and that really helped and didn’t affect my blood count drastically so that was great and problem reduced. As per  suggestion below I also took loratidine and that seemed to help too x

• Thank you for sharing your experience with me. From what I’ve read it seems to just be one if the things that we have to cope with through the treatment. I’m definitely going to ask about loratidine. x

• If your white blood cells are holding up ask about loosing those extra 2 injections as well xx

• Hi, JelloH. I typed a whole big spiel and the internet ate itSob. I'm having the last of 3 EC next week, but I'm only having 1 filgrastim inj 24 hrs after each chemo. Seven injections sounds horrendous! I experienced breathtaking bone pain 6 days after the filgrastim ( I was told to expect "mild discomfort"! ) My oncologist hadn't heard of using Loratadine for pain caused by marrow stimulating drugs, but she suggested I take 10mgs the day before the injection and for a week afterwards and it certainly helped me. I hope the rest of your treatment is speedy and uneventful. God blessHugging

• Hi, thank you for replying. I typed a big long response twice yesterday to someone and got thrown out before I’d sent it - very frustrating!

I’m having 3 of 4 EC next Friday and then I move onto 4 paclitaxel - I’m hoping that I leave the injections behind with the EC!

To be fair, I only have a couple of bad nights and I know it’s not forever. I’m definitely going to ask about the loratidine though as this maybe of some help. 

Good luck with your last EC next week xx

• i second moomy, i was good to take claritin the day before, seems to help,itook it for the 5 days of injections, starting the day before

• yes injections are not part of taxol, but ask for an icey drink to hold onto, wish i had cooling gloves, hands suffered under taxol