Chemo after surgery

• 5 replies
  • 316 subscribers

Hi all

How long did all who had it have to wait for chemo after surgery?

”Dr Google” can be dangerous, I know, but I read there are less recurrences in people who start chemo 30 days from surgery. I had lumpectomy, AICAP flap and sentinel lymph node biopsy 21st Dec, get results 10th Jan and have been told it will probably be 2-3wks after that before my first meeting with oncology. They say they allow for internal healing before starting chemo. 

I know it will vary but just an idea of timeframes from those who have had chemo after surgery would be appreciated. 

• Hi. I had surgery at the end of April and started chemo middle of July, so around 10 weeks. They did have to re-test my HER2 as was borderline so this added an extra couple of weeks.

Best wishes, Debbie x

• I was waiting several weeks too. Initial op date cancelled as MRI picked up further tumours unfortunately. So then delayed and waiting around 10 weeks from surgery to chemo xx

• Had surgery 22nd April then started chemo 14 th June now having radio as had to have another op in October . Good luck x

• The time frame for me is the same talked with my surgeon today and  she sent a message to oncology she said it would be a three week wait.  I know waiting is the hardest part.  Stay positive I’m sure if it was urgent they would have you in there already.  

• Hi, there is a good reason for a slight delay before chemo. My oncologist told me that once on chemo all healing stops so you have to be at a certain point of healing.

i see my oncologist tomorrow for my Oncotype result. This will be 7 weeks after surgery although I am only just healed as got an infection in my wound.

suspect I will be having chemo, based on previous oncologist visit