Nail Damage and chemo

• 15 replies
  • 319 subscribers

Does anyone know why I had to buy a balm to protect my nails during chemo and it's not given routinely on the NHS?. I only found this by researching myself. I have seen other women really suffer and like me were not offered any advice - seems like this is not taken seriously enough!

• I’m painting mine black as I hear it said on so. Some of the TN groups have suggested that it is the uv rays that affect the nail bed during chemo so wearing a dark colour nail polish over nails minimised the uv damage by blocking the uv rays getting to the nails. I’ll give it a go and also put tea tree oil on my cuticles just in case as I’ve also heard that’s what some use which works for them. 

• Hi - my hospital supplied the poly palm - they’re NHS.

• I can't answer that specific question as NHS treatment but there was no mention of using any balm. My fingers nails suffered somewhat but I didn't lose any thankfully. They were a bit delicate but have since grown in healthy. My toe nails bar far suffered the most. I asked my gp to be referred last year for treatment of my toe nails and I have received this every 10 weeks free on the NHS. They have recovered and grown in well. Apparently I can have 5 free sessions with the Podiatrist every year. Presume I stop when nails all grown in nearly there. Very pleased with this aspect of my care. 

• Hi chemolady welcome to the forum.  it sounds like you are on the ball with your preparations for treatment. I agree with you in that it is often not taken seriously enough  but it does seem to be somewhat random as to which women suffer from this and those that don't so it doesn't happen for all. I have spoken to a few ladies with this issue and the balm that you talk about does seem to make  a difference to the nails and seems to preserve the nails in a good condition. 

Its interesting I have learned more from the folks on here than  was every told and also from the ladies at the Breast Cancer group which I attend so its good that you are sharing this for others. I'm not sure if we will ever be bale to persuade the NHS to give this routinely  but worth a try. 

gail

Community Champion Badge

• That's good to hear - post code lottery though!

• Thank you so much for your answers - I looked into nail varnish and tried to find some actual evidence - there was not any. Also tea tree oil can be quite harsh on the skin and again could not find any studies- I found some studies on cold gloves but when I asked the nurses they said they don't like using them because they can't look at the hands. The balm, as far as I could see, was the only one tested in a randomised trial which from my understanding are the best studies.

• lookgoodfeelbetter.co.uk/ offer nail care workshops that tells you how to care and protect your nails through treatment.  I have done 3 of their different courses. My Macmillan centre told me about it, it's a great charity 

• Seems to be, though I thought I was going to have to buy when I had my appointment with the chemo nurse to discuss my treatment and potential side effects, however when I was having my first chemo I was given some.

• That’s lucky for you as it’s so expensive but not as much as post chemo treatment if your badly affected I suppose. 
    Are some chemo treatments more likely to cause nail problems? I’m on 3x EC then 3x Docetaxel. My chemo nurse told me to paint my nails dark colour but I think just to hide discolouration from EC. 

• I think it’s helped with the cuticles but not with one of my thumb nails as I can see part of the nail has raised from underneath and all nails are still sensitive- I’m now 3 weeks post chemo.  

It’s the Docetaxel which affects the nails, eyelashes and eyebrows.  The EC effects your hair.