Mouth Ulcers

• 11 replies
  • 319 subscribers

Hello! I'm on week 3 of my 2nd round of chemo and have got a very big, painful mouth ulcer. I've tried salt water mouth rinses, Bonjela, Difflam mouthwash and Anbesol liquid. It has been over 2 weeks now and the ulcer is still there, albeit not as painful as it was! My blood count is very low too. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how did they clear the ulcer up please? Will this delay my next chemo treatment?

• Hi 

I haven't had this problem but the first time I went to the chemo unit I was told to contact them if I did as they had some wonderful 'stuff' they could prescribe. Have you contacted your chemo unit?

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion?

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"
  • Yes, I phoned them and they referred me to the GP as they couldn't prescribe anything! Also phoned the chemo helpline and was just given the run around.....

• That's not good Pensive I guess all hospitals do things differently.

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion?

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"
  • Hey Rhapsody,

Did you manage to get anything to help? I am having the same problem, neither doctor or helpline want to actually help! Unless I have an temperature they don't really help! So frustrating when you're in pain and just left to it. Xx

• I had a huge sore on my lip after chemo no 5,it just wasent healing,constantly bled,my gp gave me a course of antibiotics and steroid cream it got rid of my nose scabs and ear scabs,dont suffer girls sometimes it just needs something stronger

• Thank you for this..I've now contacted my dentist as it's my gums too, they are so inflamed and painful! I had my first chemo on the 12th and had lots of side effects but feeling OK from yesterday but this is the only now really getting me down and stopping me from enjoying feeling OK until the next round.

Hope you're doing ok? Xx

• I also suffered with ulcers during Chemo, they really are awful and so painful. My GP prescribed hydrocortisone buccal tablets to dissolve on them . It cleared them up so definitely worth asking your GP for some. 

• Hi! My ulcer cleared up eventually,  after 3 weeks! I used Difflam mouthwash together with Anbesol liquid. Apparently it is easier to prevent a mouth ulcer than to treat one once it's developed! I've since been given Orabase to use if it happens again.

• Sorry to hear that. 

I have also had ulcers, and currently have one at the moment too. Mine were from EC chemo and now from Paclitaxel. 

My dentist recommended Corsodyl mouthwash without alcohol. I was also prescribed Gelclair. 

I also had a low blood count (neutrophils 0.6 etc) and my chemo was postponed by a week, plus I was given 3 days of Filgrastim. I had been on 7 injections of Filgrastim after each EC chemo cycle. 

I agree with you about the chemo helpline: they are a waste of space. You wait hours for an answer and then they don't know. 

• chemo helpline - I mean the chemo hotline the hospital do.