Tightness around arm post lymph node removal

• 11 replies
  • 321 subscribers

Hi there,

I had my lymph nodes in my arm pit plus a mastectomy and reconstruction in November then radiotherapy in February.  Recently the area has become very tight and mire sore than usual. I have had a cold so I’ve put it down to this. Has anyone else experienced this? 

• I had a mastectomy in December, virtually pain free and just two lymph nodes removed. I was fine until I finished radiotherapy about a month ago (I only had 5) and was fine during and immediately following. But am now experiencing tightness and, not pain, but sensations around that area. Apparently it can cause discomfort for months afterwards. Don’t think it’s anything to worry about xxxx

• Thanks Mazz. Good to know. Sometimes hard not to stress! Xxx

• Always hard not to stress!! Keep smiling Slight smile xx

• Bless you. Thanks for your kindness. X

• Hi. I’m a year on since treatment finished and I’m still suffering with armpit tightness. I have full movement it just seams to tighten up after exercise (swimming) my surgeon said it can take up to two years to settle after lymph removed. I have been told I have fluid under my skin which as well as the scar tissue may make it feel tight. I’m getting a compression bra. I also find my armpit is tender with a stingy pain.  I had hoped to of moved on by now. Do ask for help. I got occupational therapy to try unstick the scar tissue and I asked to go to the lymphoedema clinic for advise. Do shout don’t put up with it xx

• Thanks so much. It really helps to know others are experiencing similar (sorry it’s happening to you too though!). Xx

• Hi , just to say I had lymph node removal  and lumpectomy on my left side nearly a year ago . There were complications and I got infection , cording and nerve damage . I am on amitriptyline which isLaughing game changer for me but still experience tightness along the armpit especially if I swim or carry bags on that side . My surgeon said that was pretty  much permanent and I guess I’m just used to itLaughingow .Let’s face it nothing is ever quite normal again is it ? x

• Hi .. I am having the same procedure in 10 days time - so unfortunately I can’t help you with your concerns - however would appreciate any advice you could give me - what was the recovery like ? Did you leave the hospital with drains ? How long after did you wear a bra ? Do I need to buy a particular one ? Needless to say I am petrified !! 

• Hi omgomg,

I had my mastectomy and reconstruction end of November. I was advised to get bras for post surgery. Cancer research do good ones. The primark ones were better fit later on. I also had to buy support knickers with poppers underneath. I got mine from socksmad online. I had to wear the knickers for six weeks after. Recovery was  about 8 weeks. 

I too was very anxious. However, it wasn’t painful - more discomfort. My tightness has relieved now. I spoke to my cancer nurse who reassured me. I also did an online meeting with BRA - breast reconstruction awareness where they gave me lots of advice. A couple of things also helped - a v pillow for sleeping and a chair for the shower. I met some amazing women in hospital who helped me through. We still meet up now.

It seems like a massive deal but it will be okay. My boobs are looking good and I’m wearing a bikini for the first time in 20 years thanks to my tummy tuck! 

Good luck to you. Hope this helps. 

xx

• Thank you very much  - that gives me so much encouragement and positivity  - just what I needed  to hear .. fingers crossed I will have the same experience .  Thanks for the tips will definitely look into them all ..