Head hair loss and docetaxel

• 15 replies
  • 327 subscribers

I know it seems really vain in the grand scheme of things, but the idea of loosing my hair is beyond terrifying to me. I had my first docetaxel 2 weeks ago after being diagnosed with breast cancer and managed to use the cool cap. I only wash my hair every 3/4 days anyway, but when I washed today there was a lot more hair loss than usual, like clumps and I ended up sobbing in the shower. My partner has been fantastic and reassured me that it doesn't notice (lucky I have quite thick hair). Just wondered if anyone had any tips for helping to minimise the hair loss - would washing and combing less often help?

Thanks 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Sadly I imagine you will loose your hair like I have done 4 chemos down, on Docetaxel unless you’re staying with cold cap.  I have a wig, not far removed from my own hair and don’t have an issue with wearing it. One thing I have lost, is nasal hair so my nose runs ALOT!! Lovely!   Joy

• Hi, I feel your pain, the hair loss was a massive shock even if expected. I tried EVERYTHING, cold cap, not washing, not brushing, not even touching and various oils and still out it all came. I do have a crown of hair left which is thanks to cold cap.  

im sorry, it seems some are ‘luckier’ than others. I’m on Doxetaxel combined and think it’s the real hair killer. So far I’ve hung onto my eyelashes and eyebrows but believe they go when chemo finishes, a really nasty kick right at the end. I’m using a VERY expensive serum called Revitalash (gifted) and it gives me a little hope…

I can reassure you that once the hair goes there is relief, after the tears, and once you figure out your choice of head covering or none it gets easier. I wear a cap and so far no stares or awkward moments as it’s something in the summer that is normal. I felt like a turban or scarf screamed cancer, it’s personal choice. 

Now using coconut oil and scalp cream to look after it and feeling pretty ok about it all, amazing what you can adapt to. 

My other advise, use all the incredible support out there, go on a Look Good Feel Better workshop, call helplines etc, tap into everything that helps boost and carry you… xxx

• Hi there

Hang on in there. I shed rather a lot of hair on day 20 of my first cycle, collected alarmingly in the plughole for a number of well spaced washes, which was a bit scary so I have thin patches sides and back. The nurses on ward said that 50% hair loss is considered good. The Paxman scalp cooling system site has some good guidelines https://paxmanscalpcooling.com/.

Try to make sure that cap is snug fit. On my latest cycle of docetaxel (3/4) I was obsessed with pulling it down so it stayed snug on my crown.

Good luck and take care

Rach xxx

• I shed a lot days 17-22 after each round- don’t give up. It’s slows and if your hair is thick, like mine is, other people probably can’t tell. I’ve lost loads but am 4 chemos down and have enough still to hide the bald spots round my ears and underneath. X

• Hi there - searching for advice I found your reply. Just started to shed some hair last night and whilst fully prepared with wig and head coverings, it was still a shock. Now wondering how long this process takes. I noticed you said you have thick hair, as do I. I have booked to have my cut a bit shorter tomorrow to help ease me into this whole hair loss thing. I have just past shoulder length now. But reading that you are four sessions in and still retaining some hair, guess I'm just curious about how this all works Grimacing any advice tips etc much appreciated. Hope you are managing everything ok x

• Hi there, I’m so sorry your going through this, it really is a horrible blow. I also underestimated how upsetting it would be and cried on and off for 10 days. I cold capped for four sessions. Hair loss began between 1 and 2 and lasted about 12 days then stopped, I lost no more after chemo 3 and 4. I kept hair in a halo around my head and didn’t shave it off as I found I could wear a cap (now have loads in all colours!) and had hair at back and could poke some out at sides which meant I didn’t look bald and never felt anyone stared at me or reacted. The hair was dry and brittle but I used coconut oil every 4 days overnight and Aveeno dry scalp shampoo and conditioner. Now, 8 weeks post chemo the hair I kept is very soft and very white (weird) and I look less bald as some soft hairs and filing the gaps. The hair I kept has also grown so I did what I called my ‘Donald Trump combover’ which wasn’t a great stage but I’m still REALLY glad I didn’t shave my head. I had a wig which cost a fortune and I never wore and head scarves but I just felt people would stare at me. Hope you find a way soon and know that this will get easier in time…  sending hugs and a ton of support xxx

• thanks so much for replying. Its such a weird experience and I understand why you might have cried for several days - its all just so overwhelming at moments like this when your hair starts to part company with us. Let's face it, its one of the few things that remains a constant (or is supposed to ) from the moment it starts to grow until the day we move on from this world. And as women its often the one thing that gives us confidence in appearance . I know that for me if my hairs ok then Im ok - not worried about nails or make up really but have always looked after my hair. However I have picked myself up from last nights overwhelm and feeling more positive. I too have already sourced a lovely wig and I hope to use for those times when I really do want to look and feel 'like me'. And have some headwear all lined up as well. It will be ok. going to get it cut much shorter tomorrow which feels like a stepping stone to the eventuality of no hair Upside down. You have made me smile about your 'trump combover' - Im sure it was so much better than his ! thanks for sharing and sending hugs to you too. 

• Hi it’s so nice to hear I’m not alone I’ve cried non stop for the last four days after loosing so much hair after chemo number two,I also cold capped but think I’ve been in denial about how much I would actually loose. I now don’t  know if I should keep going with the cap or just shave it of, I have very fine hair and have now been left with what I can only describe as a monks look a complete bald patch on the top. I have an appointment for a wig this week but feel like everyone will know and scarves just scream CANCER. Feeling very overwhelmed and down but trying to stay positive. 

• Hello so sorry to hear about how you are feeling at the moment. I also cold capped and lost a lot of hair after my second chemo (although it was thick to start with) but I persevered and the hair loss did slow down after the 3rd chemo, plus the cold cap does seem to help with regrowth after chemo. With regards to a bald patch on top, are the nurses making sure that the cap is the right size for you and is pulled down tightly? I didn't have the same problem but was told that if the cap isn't pulled down tight enough it can result in bald patches so perhaps this is what has happened to you? The Paxman website is very good at explaining the cold capping process so worth a look, and I did find that some of the chemo nurses didn't seem as experienced at using the cold cap as others. Like you, I'm not personally keen on the scarf look (I don't seem to have the right shaped head/face for it) but when the weather started getting cooler I invested in a couple of wool beanies and as a lot of others were wearing them too I didn't feel that anyone was looking at me when I went out, as I just looked the same as everyone else when I went for my walks or popped to the shops. It's not nice going through chemo and losing hair but you will get through it, even if it doesn't feel like it at the moment. I hope that whatever you decide the rest of your treatment goes well xx

• Hi, I really do feel your pain, the hair loss hits very hard and people really try to be sympathetic but until it happens to you there is no way to know how hard it is. I too cold capped and also had a monk style look with very brittle grey strands which I was tempted to cut but am glad I didn’t as I wore a flat cami or denim cap and could poke some hair out of the front and back so never had to wear a wig or scarf. For me, the scarf screamed cancer and I bought a wig but just couldn’t wear it. The head shave looked too brutal to me and although it’s a mark of taking control for some I’m REALLY glad I never did it. Eight weeks after chemo I had half an inch of hair on the bald parts so had a trim of the old dead hair and now 10 weeks on am sporting a good inch. I am glad I did the cold cap till the end even if to many there seemed no point, those strands were my hair and meant I had hope! I used a scalp conditioner at night by moo goo which is cooling. It is hideous but please believe me, you will get through it and the head covering will one day seem a distant memory. Reach out anytime… hugs to you xxx