Docetaxel Side Effects

• 38 replies
  • 323 subscribers

I had my first Docetaxel  chemo last Wednesday 8th June. I've  got Diarrhoa, stomach cramps,joint pain in legs and back not to mention tingling in my fingers and toes. I was wondering  how others have coped with these side effects. Does the tingling go after a few days? I just feel so tired all the time. Because I'm  sleeping more during the day, sleeping at night is nonexistent. I've  got 2 more Docetaxel  chemo left and dreading them. Xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to BobbysGirl

My neighbour said “I know what you’ll like, here’s a glass of ginger cordial”!  Sadly I threw it up on her kitchen floor!! It was akin with NOVICHOK!  She was v kind as she handed the floor cloth to me….  

• Tavares, OMG I'd  be like that. Hate Ginger.

• Lacomtekp, sorry for late reply. I am sorry to hear that you've  been left with permanent nerve damage in your fingers and toes. It's  not nice at all. I felt so low yesterday  called red card and had a good talk with them. They know all my side effects and written them down. They are concerned with stomach pains I'm  getting and are ringing me back today. Both you and Tavares have suffered with this and lots more as well. I hope you get better soon with your hands and feet and all we can do it keep fighting. Thank you for reminding me to ring red card. I feel a lot better now xx

• Hi BobbysGirl

I hope your feeling better today 

I was really bad from first docetaxel after sailing through 3 EC with no problems apart from tiredness

It hit me 5 days after, tingling in ends of fingers and toes ,Bone pains  very painful ,horrible chemo mouth,feet starting peeling nail beds rising ,Nasty tastes and smells and couldn't  keep off the toilet ,didn't eat for 3 days just drank herbals (they even tasted awful)

I could  hardly walk or even talk.Could not get comfy at all to sleep , I didn't want to feel like that again, so they delayed me till I saw my  oncologist who did tell me it was not the injections causing it as I had no reaction to the last ones They said it was the Chemo 

They gave me a reduced dose 2nd time and more steroids to take  for 5 days reducing them every 2 days, , mouth wash,creams for feet , Imodium and painkillers to take every 2 hours if I felt like the pain was starting again.

Touch wood I have been fine this time up to now ,Had my 2nd last Friday and the extras have helped, in fact I'm in overdrive with the  extra steroids 

Tell your oncologist before your next round, they will be able to help ,I'm glad I spoke to mine as was dreading the next one 

• Stubborn, you've had it worse than me. I haven't got nails lifting or skin peeling thank god. I spoke to bcn last night who has written  it down and will tell Oncologist on 27th June when I  see him. I had to have 1nd and 3rd FEC reduced dose so probably  reduce docetaxel  as well. Wish I could skip it and go straight to surgery. I'm  surprised  they haven't said more about stomach pains you had. They seem bothered by mine. Take care of yourself, big hugs. Xx

• Hi

just to say that I bought lemonade ice lollies today at Tesco and they really helped with the horrible mouth taste. I’ll be stocking up on them for round 2. Hope you’re feeling a little better xx

• Hel39, thank you for tip about lollies. I'll  get some. Cancer nurse gave me antibiotics for my thrush today so hopefully with them,clare gel and other mouthwash it should go soon. Drinking green tea and that's  tolerable.

• Hi

Hope your are feeling a bit more yourself now,

it wasn't stomach pains as such more severe bone pain last time but this time as been ok with the extras just a little achy but I can cope with that ,I've taped my nails down for now from advice of nurses and the feet haven't peeled this time thankfully

I have found though the extra steroids have made me more active and a lot less sleep (I've got jobs done that really needed doing and just kept going but it has made me feel more upbeat about life ) 

The lollies sound a good idea - as I have had the taste thing again but no where near as bad as last time ,the mouthwash prescribed as helped with the furry tongue.

Take care and lets keep fighting on -- we can all  surprise ourselves how strong we can be when we start to think  positive thoughts  , even  though I do know  the downs will still come

It is one hell of a Scary Roller coaster to be on at times   Roller coaster

Heart

• Stubborn, Glad to hear your a lot better this time. I am feeling a lot better since Tuesday. Tuesday I  just felt like my life was over as I  felt so bad. After speaking on here and a Cancer Nurse who have all given me lots of good advice I am at a better place. Your right it is a fight and we will get there and there will be ups and downs. We never asked for this and we need to keep fighting. I am so grateful for this site as without it I would be a wreck xxxxx

• Hi BobbysGirl

Just checking in to see how you are doing ( I expect you've had your 2nd dose by now) hope all went well

I am due my last one this morning ,so hoping it goes aswell as my 2nd one did as having same meds I had for the 2nd round  - so i'm expecting to be on the go again for a week from the steroids Laughing

Also having the Picc line out today -- can't say I'm looking forward to that one!