Painful feet

• 15 replies
  • 317 subscribers

Hi sorry seem to be on here nearly every other with another symptom got painful hot soles of feet anyone got any tips to help stop it making it painful to walk

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I will watch too anyones advuce!

• I want you both to contact your bcn or gp and tell them. Don't let them keep burning especially as you are struggling to walk on them. Make sure someone looks at them. You won't be making a fuss. I didn't do that as I thought this was a side effect that would disappear like sickness with FEC but whilst that may be the case, it can also be more serious and do irretrievable damage without attention. The nerves in my feet were permanently damaged.

I hope  you will feel better soon. For my feet I needed several B vitamins and gabapentine which I still have to take 6 years later.

1. I
  • Blooming eck what a nightmare!!! I’ll see if I can get in contact with chemo team think everything will be shut cause of the bank holiday weekend thanks for the advice sorry you’re still suffering xxx

1. If you contact your Oncology Nurses or your BCN they can give you some Menthol Cream for your burning feet. I have the same problem and it cooled my feei down. All the best. 
  • Hi 

Sorry to hear you have painful feet.  Looks like you’ve already had good advice, the main one being - let your team know!  Especially important if you’re still having chemo as they can reduce the dose, give you a break to help your feet recover or even advise to stop if things are bad. I went through the same and it was very depressing not being able to walk, even around the house.  

The neuropathy team at the hospital gave me lots of help - menthol aqueous cream as previously mentioned, lidocaine cream or patches, gabapentin or pregabalin tablets. But what worked best for me was Doxepin cream, and I also had acupuncture which I still continue at home once a week.  Two years down the line, my feet are still numb in parts and when it’s hot weather, they burn and don’t like to be enclosed in shoes and socks, but I’m playing golf four times a week and 10+km hikes are no problem. 

Best of luck with your chat with the oncologist and I hope you manage to find some relief!

Loffie x

• Thanks for the advice & information I’m popping to see oncologist this morning so hopefully will get it sorted 

• Do take the advice that others have given here and I hope your oncologist is able to help you.

I had the same issue on Docetaxol - over the May bank holiday weekend last year. As it would be a couple of days before I could speak to someone, I did do some very careful Googling and found advice on the Breast Cancer Org site (pretty much the US equivalent of Breast Cancer Now) which was to use a cream with 10% urea in it. There was an article about a very small trial that had been run with some success. 

I used Eucerin foot cream (Amazon, Boots online) and found it worked for me. It certainly soothed the burning feeling, reduced the redness and helped with peeling. I’m still using it on and off now, nine months after chemo finished, as I find my feet still get very dry if I don’t. 

Wising you all the best with the rest of your treatment xx

• Lots of suggestions here, several of which I shall be trying myself. I'm on capecetabine and developed sore, red and peeling feet. My onco doctor was more concerned about the feet than any other side effect I had. It can be permanent if it is not treated. In my case my chemo dose was reduced, my week without chemo (regime is 2 weeks on tablets every day and then a week off) was extended a couple of times to give feet time to settle, I have been given Pyridoxine (vitamin B6) and I was given Udderly Smooth on prescription - typical conversation CONSULTANT: " do you need any more cream for your feet"  ME: Yes please, can I have one tube? CONSULTANT; Are you sure? You can have 2/3/4/5 .... tubes or as much as you like. I'll put you down for two anyway".  My bedside table drawer is now full of Udderly Smooth tubes.

Things I have done myself to ease them-

Use various other creams and oils as well as the Udderly Smooth. My routine is to moisturize twice a day minimum - after shower in morning, and bedtime.

I go to a chiropodist and a reflexologist and I make sure they look thoroughly at my feet and I always tell them how the soreness has been.

I wear trainers outdoors - soft ones with a very soft flexible foot bed, and crocs indoors and around the garden. They allow the air to get to my feet and they are very roomy and comfortable

in the evening when watching tv. or when resting I remove shoes and socks and put my feet up.

My sore feet aren't as bad asyou describe yours are. As I'm typing this I have no soreness at all and I know I could go for a walk without them getting sore.

Report it as soon as you can - they can do something about it if you tell them early.