BLOKES WITH BREAST CANCER

• 163 replies
  • 341 subscribers

Hi    I have recently joined this female dominated cancer world  I have had mastectomy followed by lymph node clearance joined optima trial so skipped chemo and went onto radiotherapy for 5 days and tamoxifen daily. Pain scale: Biopsy 8-10  Mastectomy 3-10  Lymph node clearance 3-10  Radiotherapy  1-10 This is a really hard cancer if you happen to be a gentleman sat in waiting rooms listening to woman talking about there treatments but it is the only way a male can find out the pitfalls of treatments and i would like to thank and apologize for listening in because without this there is nothing out there for males! We are told dont go on internet at clinics but how on earth can you find something or someone to talk to,i personally felt like i had been pushed of a cliff as i could not find a solution having contacted a charity and the internet is all about female led questions. I mentioned this to a consultant and his nurse came up trumps with a male support network at Breast Cancer Now , so any males looking for advise ,support look at this charity because there is nothing out there for males and when you find a post it is usually years old . Thank you  

• Sorry. Me again. I realise the answer is different for everyone but roughly how much strength do you have in the arm by your operation?

• I am sorry you are all having such a rough time with this illness. I can understand how difficult it must be sitting surrounded by women who by the very nature of being female may express their feelings differently. We are however very empathetic and sympathetic of your situation. I suspect that one of the biggest problems is that as you wait for results and protocol, they are also waiting, many are in a similar situation, told not to google and terrified.

However you are correct that there is little advice for men and those who do get this disease may not feel inclined to join a group with the majority of women whose worries may seem different. Why don't you contact admin and suggest they introduce a new group for ' blokes' as you put it.? There are obviously at least two of you at similar stages at the moment. You would be able to share your own specific problems without them getting lost between other threads in this group. For men in future, a heading for men might offer them support too if they are feeling particularly bewildered and unsure about joining a cancer group which by the nature of type....breast....affects large numbers of women.

I hope all goes well with your treatment. Male or female.....the success rate for recovery is high these days. I had my own cancer in 2015 and have been clear since.

Take care.

1. I
  • Good luck with op,which for me was straight forward in hosp at 12 noon home at 6.30pm didn't have a drain for first op which was a bonus pain wise the biopsy was the worst, took pain relief for 2 days after op and the had to wait 3 week's to see results of surgery which felt like months and then told he had found cancer in one of 2 lymph nodes and then 3 weeks later had them removed with drain fitted which put back my recovery a week and recently thanks to radiotherapy started with severe arm pain .personally i really believe the treatments for cancer is worst than all the surgery put together.mastecectomy  surgery finishes before armpit so no arm interference. If lymph nodes need clearance op under armpit down to first scar, no difference to arm strength for me .arm exercise is a must after op as you will feel tight on your chest. my cancer was  grade 2 .ask away i will answer 

• Thank you for that ,do you think admin would do that ?

• Even if they don't, they could pin this thread to the top, so that it never goes to page 2 of the forum, making it easy for other men to find. Definitely worth contacting the moderators to ask about all options -- a completely different forum, a section dedicated to men within this forum, or pinning this thread to the top.

• hi greycats. i'm a man and felt tiny lump directly underneath my left nipple whilst taking a bath. Felt my right breast and realised i didn't have same thing there. was size of a pimple so wondered whether it was worth mentioning to doctor. glad i did.

• Thanks, newboy. 

How long ago were you diagnosed?

• Thanks for that. I’ll probably be quiet for a while as surgery coming up. Good luck with treatment.

• Hi , I was diagnosed with BC in 2012 and apart from the shock of finding out that men could get it ,the fact that I found no one else to talk to who had been through the same was (to be honest) a bit devastating !
    A couple of years ago myself and other chaps who have had or have BC started a group Virtual Meet Up (VMU) and we meet once a month over Zoom , It is something that I wish was about in 2012 as it would have helped a lot. As well as having a chat , we have also helped to get MBC more on the agenda, with more publicity and exposure from various charities . For example , through Macmillan , I have been helping with Eastenders on their current storyline with Stuart Highway getting BC . The actor Ricky has even been along to one of our VMU meetings  to find out exactly what it is like living with BC.

We have even concocted the first MBC leaflet which was kindly arranged with Against Breast Cancer Male-Breast-Cancer-Information-Leaflet.pdf (dvfy33sga319.cloudfront.net)

If you (or any other blokes) are interested in joining us at the VMU , please have a read of this and get in contact if you feel like it

Take care my friend 

New forum will bring men with breast cancer together (dmu.ac.uk)