Cold gloves to protect nails during chemo

• 7 replies
  • 314 subscribers

Has anyone any experience of these  and where can they be purchased? Thankyou

• Hi Lauren80

I’m 3 months post chemo and I used cold mitts and cold bootees. I also wore very dark nail polish and kept all my nails just as before with the exception of one big toe nail which is yucky BUT can’t say it was the chemo as this toe nail fell off every 2/3 years due to an infection. I had hoped that as chemo kills of everything else it might have killed the infection too! I was on 3x EC followed by 3 x Docetaxol and it is the Docetaxol that causes the nail damage. The gloves/bootees have to be worn for 15 mins before, all during infusion and 15 mins after. As the infusions lasts an hour and they only last cold enough for 45 mins, 2 pairs of each are required and they are expensive (at least I thought so). They cost £930!! 
    I was going to donate them to the oncology unit at my hospital but I became concerned that they may just get tossed aside and forgotten about,  so now my BCN knows of them and I have asked her to ask potential patients if they wish to use them and as I only stay 10 mins from the hospital and have an ice box large enough to accommodate them and frozen ice packs I will freeze and deliver for them. 
    If you decide to go down that route I can give you the details of the supplier. They supply to the hospitals. 
    Best wishes on your journey. Xx

• Blimey, £930 is a lot of money!  I didn't see anyone on my chemo unit wearing gloves but I had 4 x AC followed by 4 x Docetaxol and wore dark nail varnish with a top coat, kept my hands and nails moisturised and wore marigold gloves when I did the washing up. Probably spent around £35 and am now two months post-chemo with no nail problems. I think it's tricky to know what does or doesn't work as chemo effects people in so many different ways and regardless of what you do to prevent side effects it's a bit 'pot luck' whether you will actually get the side effects and if so, what will work for you. Good luck whatever you decide to try Laura80.

• Wow! Thanks for that info. I m not having Docetaxel unless things change. So maybe my nails won't be harmed. I start this week with 3xEC followed by Paditaxel weekly for 9weeks. I can't wait to start ! Diagnosis and surgery were so quick . I feel l m just treading water now.

I ve heard of people wearing dark nail varnish but my onchologist said to leave my nails bare. I ve read about water based nail varnish and might send for some.

I hope all this is soon a memory for you. Thanks for your reply.

Laura80

• Thankyou Lalalou.

I ve had breast reconstruction and have a wig and chemo turbans at the ready , but it's my nails l see whenever l open my eyes. I normally have shellac done professionally.  It's really my thing ! I m going to have to get over it. I know it's not too important in the great scheme of things ! X

• Hi Laura 80,

Blimey was exactly my sentiments too! Fortunately I didn’t  pay - family and friends gifted me as we have another family member who suffered very badly with lost finger nails - so bad she couldn’t keyboard for her work. It took 2 years for her to be able to get a manicure. 

Strangely I’ve been advised not to have shellac, which I never had previously anyway. I wore the water based nail polish and strangely enough it was oncology who advised dark nail polish. Why can’t these people all ‘sing from the same hymn sheet’?!

Paclitaxol is a taxane just like Docetaxol and it’s the taxanes that are the Red Devils!

If I hadn’t been fortunate enough to get these paid for I would have just carried on doing what I always do anyway, cuticle oil, nail balm nightly and always wear gloves and copious amounts of hand cream. 

I’m sure you’ll be fine and your nails will still be delightful at the end. Best wishes! X️

• Hi 

Improvise I used pair of gloves and the blue freezer gel packs for hands,for feet socks and a large ice pack used in NHS for post surgery swelling a frozen hot water bottle will give same effect.No nail loss or discoloration.Also used Polybalm.

Good luck 

Yx

• It's been 2 years but, i haven't personally used cold gloves during chemo, but I've heard they can be really helpful in protecting nails. When my friend was going through treatment, she swore by them. As for where to find them, she got hers from a local medical supply store recommended by her healthcare team. Also, if you're looking for a pick-me-up during treatment, you might enjoy checking out some nail ideas online. I recently found this great website with tons of inspiration.