Carboplatin side effects

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 312 subscribers

Hiya, 

I’m new to this group but was on the triple negative breast cancer group. 

I’m asking this for my sister who was diagnosed with triple negative BC two years ago, no lymph node involvement. After chemo, radio therapy, lumpectomy, capecitabine oral chemo she then discovered another lump in nearly exactly the same place. Cells that were missed apparently and have grown since treatment stopped so a double mastectomy and reconstruction later in Nov 2018 my sister asked if there was anything she could take for prevention. 

She tolerated chemo very well the first time so thought this would happen again. 

My sister had her first lot of Carboplatin for prevention on Tuesday, weds night we ended up in A&E as she couldn’t keep anything down. 

I guess we wanted to know anyone else’s experiences of CARBOPLATIN and any good anti sickness drugs. 

Thank you all. 

I never ever want to see my sis suffering like that again x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello,

Welcome to the group but sorry you find yourself here. I find this group to be invaluable for help and support.

I have had 3 cycles of Carboplatin. I have found the worst side effect is the metallic taste to everything which I just can’t seem to get rid of. I haven’t had any sickness at all. I take 2 Ondansetron tablets the day of chemo and for a further 2 days. This drug does cause constipation but a dulcolax tablet sorts this.  I also have Domperidone anti sickness tablets to take as needed.

I hope this is of some help at least!

Love and hugs

Shell x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thank you so much. My sister has the second lot of anti sickness drugs, she calls them Dom Peringon like the champagne! I will let her know as they didn’t give her anything after the chemo bless her x

• This thread is being marked for retention by the moderator, as some members are still finding this useful.