letrozole hair thinning

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 16 replies
  • 314 subscribers

Hi there,

I have been on Letrozole after lumpectomy and 3 weeks radiotherapy some 3 and half years ago. Have had 3 clear mammograms so far. My hair thinning sees to be getting worse and I still have 18 months before I'm off it if all goes well and I stay clear for the full 5 years.

I'm wondering if my hair will thicken up after I stop the Letrozole. I'm coping at the moment with a clever hairdresser who layers my hair carefully and does a light perm on my crown to give it some body.

Anyone out there who knows if my hair will go back to normal I'm wondering? Thanks in anticipation and hugs to all.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi  

J finished her 5 year sentence on Letrozole around 6 months ago and had light hair thinning all the way through. New hair was coming through but losing others at the same time :(

The amount of hair thinning people have while on Letrozole and Anastrozole is very individual and it seems to be fairly slow growing back once the tablets end :(

G n' J

•  

Wow fantastic news about the clear mammograms it certainly gives the rest of us a big light at the end of the tunnel of treatment

I have had chemo and lost my hair, plus on Letrozole so read this with interest.

A friend who is a nurse and has gone through this poop of BC, recommended me to take sea kelp tablets to encourage hair growth. I have done that and yes it is helping. Whether it would stop the hair loss of Letrozole I  am not sure. But for a small pot from a health food H&Barrett, I thought it was worth a try. And as my daughter who is a nurse always tells me  'That tablet might just give you expensive pee, mom'........... such a pragmatist my daughter

Sorry I cannot be of any more help

And once again great to read of success stories

Leolady56

Life is like a boxing match, defeat is declared not when you fall ..... But when you refuse to stand up again ....... So, I get knocked down but I get up again. x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thank you Dreamthief. Well it's good to know that my hair might come back. Even so, I'm glad to have been on the Letrozole as it's given me a certain amount of security that my oestrogen fuelled cancer continues to be arrested.

Many congrats to J for getting to the end of her 5 years. Best wishes for continued good health. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Leolady56

Thank you Leolady 56. I will look for the sea kelp tablets and see if it makes a difference. My hairdresser is my best friend at the moment! If she has to be my permanent best friend I'm still glad of the Letrozole rather than the possible alternative of the cancer coming back. Good luck with your treatment and many thanks for the helpful suggestion.

• AYou might want to check the 5 year letrozole . I have my mx about the time as you and I've been told it's 10 years

MIND OVER MATTER - I don't mind and what you think doesn't matter.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

I just wanted to add to the advice after 3years post surgery/chemo/radiotherapy herceptin I was told that Biotin would help with my thinning hair & nails & I certainly think it has. Good luck & all the very best

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Bustysusy

Thank you so much. Another question for the oncologist then. I was treated at The Marsden. Where did you get the info about 10 years rather than 5?

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thank you. I will certainly look into that. Best wishes back to you too.

•  

The 5 v 10 years information also came from my oncologist. He suggested any where fro 5 to 7 to 10 years benefit. There is a trial at present to see the efficacy of the drug over additional time. he hopes when I see him early August that he will have an answer

If he does and if it is based in fact I will post

So this BC lark is a costly business. Extras to overcome the drugs and their side effect !!! I am spending my children's inheritance but ..... as I told them they get me as the babysitter

Hugs

Leolady56

(if this made little sense blame Wimbledon, one eye on each)

Life is like a boxing match, defeat is declared not when you fall ..... But when you refuse to stand up again ....... So, I get knocked down but I get up again. x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Leolady56

Thank you for the info Leolady. The outcomes of the trial will be interesting!

Enjoy the babysitting and Wimbledon. Sadly Wimbledon is only 2 weeks!  :-)