Chemotherapy and my dog

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 26 replies
  • 326 subscribers

Hi, went to see my Encologist for the first time yesterday and he told me that if my dog needs her booster vaccination and it is a "Live " vaccine , then I can't have it done while I am going through chemo.

I contacted my vet yesterday, and they said that it isn't a live vaccine, but then today a friend of mine has asked the same question of her vet, and has been told that it is a live vaccine. So I don't know what I should do now.

My chemo is due to start probably end of the month, and run for 6 sessions, and my dog should have her booster due in April.

Any advise you can give would be appreciated

• It never even crossed my mind about the boosters and Kennel Cough spray.  It wasn't mentioned either. I have 2 dogs, 1 has his in June (when I was on chemo) and the other December.  I stopped mine having the Kennel Cough a couple of years ago as they never go in kennels and it stressed my older dog out.

• This never crossed my mind either, my dog had her boosters while I was on chemo and I was fine, but she is due her kennel cough in March before she goes in kennels in April, I am on chemo for life so don’t know what to do, think a chat with my oncologist is in order, thanks for the heads up on this xx

Stay Safe everyone, Love and hugs Jenny xxx

“ We don’t know how strong we are, until being strong is the only choice we have.” xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to grannylara

Spoke to oncologist today on routine visit, agreed live vaccine was to be avoided at all cost but he was a bit vague about the kennel cough risks, seemed to come as a bit of a surprise, "never been asked that before" to quote

Having said that it was not one of my better visits, I think he was having a bad day. 

Might be better to talk to a vet.

I am however still digging.

Best Wishes

• Spoke to my vet today and he hadn’t heard anything about it, but rang the makers and they said they did not recommend kennel cough for your dog if you are on chemo or have a compromised immune system, they said if I did insist I would need to sign a disclaimer, that’s if the vet would do it. They also said it can take up to six months for the dog to be free of the vaccine. They said it is definitely a live vaccine.

“ We don’t know how strong we are, until being strong is the only choice we have.” xx

• FormerMember

It is worrying that the oncologist and the vets are a bit vague on this issue and there is an obvious lack of awareness of the facts.

You have found pretty much what I did although my information suggested 6 weeks was the risk phase.

Interestingly I also learned that although the kennel cough is an "annual" vaccine it will last for up to 16 months without any booster, dates on record card confirm this, so a little bit of opportunism from the doggy doctor perhaps.

However we decided to go ahead with the vaccine with some enhance precautions, so far no issues and with 2.5 days to go to the end of my treatment regime one remains cautious but optimistic.

No disclaimer sought.

I think I may contact Macmillan directly and ask them to raise awareness of the potential issues. 

Trust you are well and best wishes.

• Hope all goes well, I am a little bit cautious as I am on chemo for life, I have 3 weeks of tablets and a week off, just finished 16 months, it was recommended that I had the flu jab and I did but it put me in hospital, apparently the over 65 one had something new added to it. I am seeing my oncologist tomorrow so will talk to him again. 

Think as you say it needs to be raised with Macmillan so we can be more clear about it.

• FormerMember

Hi .  Also everyone else,

As a cat owner, I have a cat who is due her annual boosters in the next couple of months.

As I am also on chemo for life,  that set me wondering about cat vaccinations/ boosters?

I will contact my vet and Oncologist to see what they  think about this subject.

Judith xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Routine annual vaccines are not the issue as far as I am aware.

The problem is the Kennel Cough option and is only required where the animal is to be boarded where kennels insist on this preventative treatment, this is a live vaccine and a such should be avoided if there is a presence of anyone who is immunosuppressed or on chemo.

The virus can be passed to humans as respiratory illness such as whooping cough , pneumonia or similar..

My information is based on dogs however but believe cats are no different.

From my own experience the oncologist will be vague but will say no contact with live vaccines.

Best wishes

• Just got back from seeing my oncologist who is a top professor  and told him what the vet said, he did some research and said he could see no reason why my dog couldn’t have the kennel cough vaccine, so will book her in. While I was waiting to see him I was speaking to lady whose dog was given kennel cough vaccine while she was on chemo, and no ill effects, she had never heard of it either x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

It's not something I've ever asked about - didn't even cross my mind! 

My cats have always had their annual vaccinations and I've not suffered any ill effects as far as I know!