Does anyone else dislike the Macmillan Brave the Shave campaign?

• 591 replies
  • 333 subscribers

Good evening everyone

I have seen two Macmillan TV adverts this evening, as well as lots of adverts on their Facebook site - and this website - for Brave the Shave,

This is encouraging people to raise money for people affected by cancer by shaving their head - it has fostered a climate where people think it is showing support to people who have lost their hair by doing this too.

Even my own daughters offered to shave their heads when they knew I was to have chemo and lose my hair - talk about brainwashing!

I can't think of anything that would have made me more upset than to see them lose their hair too.

I have pretty much powered my way through 8 cycles of DC and had every side effect it could throw at me, one stay of a week in hospital, and four times they called me in because of various things, two bad reactions in the chair - but the one thing that reduced me to tears wasn't being told I had cancer, it was being told I would lose all my hair in the second week of the first cycle.

And I don't need to tell any of you how hateful I found having huge handfuls come out in the shower (and I had short hair so hadn't thought it would be so horrid).

And then your eyebrows and eyelashes go - and your femininity feels like it's being stripped away bit by bit.

Frankly I find people who say they will get their head shaved as support, and that say they do it to "share" our experience haven't a clue! They might choose this, we haven't chosen it - and wouldn't.

It may sound over the top to some of you, but I find this whole campaign offensive, insensitive and patronising - particularly seeing people smile while having their head shaved, and people cheering. I didn't smile, and my daughter and husband didn't feel like cheering when they shaved my head.

Ok I'm cool with my look now - the very shiny head (not a short razor clipped look) - but I would prefer not to have had to experience any of this.

If you agree - please let me know.

I have messaged Macmillan previously and never even had a response. I've commented on Facebook under their posts in the past urging people to find fun ways to raise money (and there are so many) and not to do this for me.........and there is always a huge response in terms of "likes" and comments from people in our reluctant community.

If people are with me - maybe we can convince Macmillan to stop this barbaric approach to fund raising. Either like this post or put a comment of support please - if you don't agree, that's fine, no need to do anything!

Well - that's my rant over - you might have noticed I feel a tad passionate about this!

• Haha Jediknight!

Judy xx

"Those who don't believe in magic will never find it" Roald Dahl

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Judyr58

I hate the campaign. There is nothing brave about shaving your head and I love the term "hero martyr".

When I see people doing this I want to say "Oh cool, well done. Now you need to have six months of chemo and surgery...not so brave now, huh?!"

I'd rather people just gave the money.

• I might put my hand in my pocket to sponsor somebody who had every hair on their body waxed off or tweazered out.

I'd allow the noble term of 'martyr' for that kind of short-term suffering. I might even pay to watch.

Best wishes

Barbara

“Scars are tattoos with better stories.” – Anonymous

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to barbaral

Hi everyone,

We passed this discussion onto our Brave the shave fundraising team and here is their response -

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this forum. We appreciate all feedback as it helps us to grow and to support more people affected by cancer. 

Please accept our apologies if the campaign has caused any upset or offence, Brave the Shave was created in order to raise awareness and vital funds for Macmillan and we understand the sensitive nature of the campaign.

Brave the Shave started as we found that many Macmillan supporters were choosing to shave their head and fundraise for Macmillan. Originally we launched Shave or Style, however from this campaign, we found that the majority of participants were opting to shave and so moved forward with that aspect specifically. We wanted to provide these supporters with a better platform in order to raise money, while sharing their fundraising activity. The majority of people who take part in Brave the Shave have a close connection to cancer, including the ladies in our TV ad.

We do understand that this type of event is not for everyone, which is why we offer a variety of events, including Coffee Morning, Go Sober and Summer Lights. We also of course are continually trying to improve and check our communication with this particular ask, which is why yours and participants feedback here is so important.  

Last year this event raised over £4m to support people affected by cancer, which means we can continue to be there for more people affected by cancer than ever before.

We hope this response has eased some of your concerns, and please do let us know if you have any further comments or queries, you can email us at bravetheshave@macmillan.org.uk

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

It's lovely to be listened to  :)  I think it was the use of BRAVE which annoyed most of us. But please, keep up the good work. I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for guys like you x

• FormerMember

Whilst I like everyone appreciate the fundraising need and am aware some choose to shave to raise funds I don't feel the explanation  given by McMillan team sufficient, yes it raises loads etc but Brave nope. My sister was very close to me during treatment and very understanding, my Aunts husband died after having treatment etc. But both could not understand that the advert raised such a feeling of upset and distaste in me until I explained it and initially had thought it a good idea.

Are the campaigns tested on a large sample of Cancer patients and survivors or a small sample well past treatment because no doubt your feeling towards them will alter according to the time laps from treatment?

• FormerMember

Hi ,

I'm afraid I'm not from the fundraising team so I can't comment on your question. I will pass on your comments though.

Many thanks,

Jess

• I thinks it great that people have raised so much money, and I suppose you are never going to please everyone. Maybe they just need to look at the way they advertise or name things! 

How about Shave to Save! Like has already been said there's nothing Brave about having your head shaved through choice. 

• FormerMember

Thank you Jannie 13,

You have expressed my feelings perfectly, I don't believe the fundraisers have understood at all. I am also grateful for Macmillans but I wish  they would please stop upsetting me and mine !

Hugs to all.

xxxxxxxxx

• Unknown said:

Hi everyone,

We passed this discussion onto our Brave the shave fundraising team and here is their response -

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this forum. We appreciate all feedback as it helps us to grow and to support more people affected by cancer. 

Please accept our apologies if the campaign has caused any upset or offence, Brave the Shave was created in order to raise awareness and vital funds for Macmillan and we understand the sensitive nature of the campaign.

Brave the Shave started as we found that many Macmillan supporters were choosing to shave their head and fundraise for Macmillan. Originally we launched Shave or Style, however from this campaign, we found that the majority of participants were opting to shave and so moved forward with that aspect specifically. We wanted to provide these supporters with a better platform in order to raise money, while sharing their fundraising activity. The majority of people who take part in Brave the Shave have a close connection to cancer, including the ladies in our TV ad.

We do understand that this type of event is not for everyone, which is why we offer a variety of events, including Coffee Morning, Go Sober and Summer Lights. We also of course are continually trying to improve and check our communication with this particular ask, which is why yours and participants feedback here is so important.  

Last year this event raised over £4m to support people affected by cancer, which means we can continue to be there for more people affected by cancer than ever before.

We hope this response has eased some of your concerns, and please do let us know if you have any further comments or queries, you can email us at bravetheshave@macmillan.org.uk

http://www.macmillan.org.uk/about-us/what-we-do/our-annual-report-and-accounts/how-we-raise-and-spend-our-money.html

perhaps if you spent a little less than £25.1m on making people aware, Campaigning & Awareness,  they wouldn't have to shave their heads, as part of a campaign we all find offensive, to raise £4m

I find pretty much all cancer adverts debatable in their effectiveness and dubious in their tactics.

I, for one, would be interested to see how that £25.1m is being spent.

I love the online group, I've benefitted and I hope I've helped others. 

Work hard to improve what we find useful and ask us to help you come up with ideas to raise awareness that isn't going to reduce our families to tears at unexpected moments in the ad breaks in our favourite TV shows.

Carolyn

x

real life success stories to remind you that people do survive breast cancer

https://community.macmillan.org.uk/cancer_types/breast-cancer/f/38/t/115457

Dr Peter Harvey

https://www.workingwithcancer.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/After-the-treatment-finishes-then-what.pdf