Mum has lungecancer stage 4, secondary liver, brain and lymph notes

• 1 reply
  • 4 subscribers

Hi, new here hoping to vent a bit and get some air Slight smile

My mum got diagnosed in Sep 20 (week before her 67th birthday) after having had some “epileptic” seizures - they though it was a blood cloth, but turned out to be stage 4 lung cancer...

So far she has had 4x full brain radiotherapy as there is 8 areas in the brain effected so operation is not an option. She’s also been through 12 weeks of chemo and is a possible candidate for immunotherapy if needed. The hospital (in DK) won’t scan the brain as they say it serves no purpose, if the radiotherapy worked its good, if not, there is nothing else they can do Disappointed She is such a strong woman and have chosen to look at the bright side of life, already exceeded her first targets (celebrating Christmas & go caravanning with my dad).

Her biggest fear is change to her personality or that she will suffer from memory loss etc. She is aware that this will kill her, it’s just a matter of time and she and dad have sorted all the practical things, we have family Skyped, cried, laughed and talked about all the hard stuff and good memories, leaving her to enjoy life to the fullest Slight smile Hopefully for a long time.

I guess I just wondered if any here have any positive stories about full brain radiotherapy followed by immunotherapy (for primary cancer). I live here in the U.K. and due to Covid it has not been possible for me to travel to DK to see her, so I’m really hoping she hangs in there till I get the chance and planes are flying again, it’s heartbreaking, even though I know there are lots of kind people around her.

P.s. she has chosen to add cbd/thc oil to her personal treatment plan and the hospital are aware of this? Is this possible for U.K. patients too?

• Hi and welcome to the online community

I'm very sorry to read that your mum has been diagnosed with lung cancer which has spread and it's natural that you want to find out about possible treatment for her. It must also be incredibly hard not being able to see your mum in person but I'm sure she appreciates any Facetime or Skype calls you can do.

I hope you don't mind me suggesting that you also join and post these questions in the lung cancer group as I know there are people there who are on immunotherapy. If this is something that you'd like to do then clicking on the link I've created will take you straight there. You can then copy and paste your post from here to save you typing it all out again.

It would be great if you could pop something about your mum's journey so far into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"