Secondary brain metastases

• 5 replies
  • 6 subscribers

My husband has oesophageal cancer as his primary cancer but this has spread to many parts of his body including 3 brain metastases. He has his last of 8 chemo sessions next week. They have said they have some radiotherapy ‘in reserve’ but does anyone know of anything else that is out there and available or is this it for him now? We have our last consultants appointment just before the chemo and I want to be able to fight for him to have any other treatment that may be available. I’m hoping that someone reading this would be able to advise. Thank you. 

• Hi Room301

I am really sorry to hear about your husbands cancer journey.

I hope that his chemotherapy has helped and that he has not been too unwell with it. 

These links may be helpful in preparing for the next appointment and may give ideas on what to ask about.

Treatment for secondary brain cancer | Cancer Research UK

Secondary brain cancer | Macmillan Cancer Support

If talking things through would help, then please do give the Support Line a call. The details are below.

I hope this helps a bit and I wish your husband well for his last chemo cycle. I hope that the appointment with the consultant goes well and that you are able to get the answers you need.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• hello,

I dont know of other treatments but I can share with you that I too have secondary brain cancer. it metastasized from the breast cancer 2 years ago.

treatment that I had was called STEREOTACTIC RADIO SURGERY( No surgery involved) and my tumor shrank by half a millimetre. Nevertheless I have been given a fluid idea of my end of days since the cancer can spread. I have been told I have between one year to a few years...

be strong

• Thank you so much for replying Xaviva. I shall ask about this treatment when we go on Wednesday. I wish you all the best as well. 
    yvonne 

• Hi,

My hubby has secondary brain cancer. His initial mri scan on 17/05/24 came back with 5 lesions, he went for the gamma knife surgery on Friday and the mri scan before the procedure showed 2 more had appeared in the 4 weeks interval of the scans. He had the treatment and they were very happy with the results. I hope your hubby can have the procedure & it’s a success xx

• It is so kind of you to share this particularly with what you are going theough at the moment, so thank you for taking the time to reply. Unfortunately they will not operate as his cancer has spread too far throughout his body. It’s hard to believe that he was a fit and healthy man at the end of October, after cycling and sailing. Then the bomb dropped! We were just hoping that there may be some trials thst he could go on. 
    I really do wish you all the very best.