My dad Vince and his seconday brain metastases

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 19 replies
  • 4 subscribers

Hello my 74 year old father was diagnosed on the 28.10.19 with lung cancer coupled with 9 secondary brain metastases.  We had our 1st appointment with his oncologist on the 6.11.19, they advised us that due to my dad's age and general health that they wouldn't be able to offer my dad any treatment.  There main concern was the 8 secondary Mets. They advised that it would be unlikely my dad could take radiotherapy and it would make his health worse.  They didn't mention any other treatment That could possibly help my dad.  Does anyone have any experience with the above? I'm really looking for a second opinion on other treatments that could be offered to my dad.  Surly there must be something that could be considered,  up until 6 weeks ago my dad was still driving and living independently.

• Hi Marie ,

Welcome to the Brain, secondary cancerm group.

I had stereotactic radiotherapy ( cyberknife) treatment in 2013 for my one brain met  -primary is kidney cancer 

I believe the max no of mets they'll use cyberknife on is 4, but that info is from someone else on the site. Worth checking on?

I had it done at Mt Vernon in Middx. The other place I know of who do it is UCLH in central London- they also do gammaknife treatment. If u wanted a second opinion, they're the ones to ask. I gather there's a hospital in Newcastle does these too.

The stereotactic radiotherapy is highly focussed radiotherapy,so less invasive than the usual kind, ie affects the surrounding area less.

I had 3 x20 min sessions.

Hope that helps x

Fear of the unknown is the worst thing. Once we know what we're facing, we find the strength to deal with it.
  • Hi again , u could ring the helpline for more info re a second opinion/ other treatments.

Their phone number is 0808 808 0000, 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week.

Fear of the unknown is the worst thing. Once we know what we're facing, we find the strength to deal with it.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to buttercup01

Sheffield also do it. I'm sitting there now in my head cage waiting for treatment any minute.

• FormerMember

Sheffield also do it. I'm sitting there now in my head cage waiting for treatment any minute.

• Of course they do

How could I forget your rushed transport organising yesyerday!?

Good luck with treatment n overnight stay xx

• FormerMember

Hi Buttercup 01

Thank you so much for your reply, I have today spoken with the Gamma Knife Centre in London as you advised, and the told me to ask my dad's oncologist to make a referral and send his latest MRI and they will look to see if my dad is suitable for the treatment.  I just sent a email to his oncologist requesting this, I have everything crossed that she will make the referral based on my dad's health.

Wishing you well, and thank you again x 

• FormerMember

Hi Buttercup 01

Thank you for your reply I have contacted the Gamma Knife Centre in London as you advised, and they told me to speak with my dad's oncologist to make a referral and send his latest MRI scan and they will look into if my dad is suitable for the treatment.  I have just emailed my dad's oncologist to ask them to may the referral, fingers crossed they will as I believe it's based on his health and size of tumors.

Wishing you well and thanks again x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Good luck with your treatment, and wishing you well,a T you for your reply xx

• FormerMember

I had mine yesterday. Look a bit like something out of Addam's family because of punctures on face but nothing that can't be coped with. Not allowed to wash them for 3 days. 

It's a beautiful day from the top floor of Sheffield Hallamshire. I can even see my childhood home. Now off to Chesterfield hospital for different appointment. My next mission is to try and unify appointments for the sake of all my wonderful lift givers.

Keep going. 

• FormerMember

I had mine yesterday. Look a bit like something out of Addam's family because of punctures on face but nothing that can't be coped with. Not allowed to wash them for 3 days. 

It's a beautiful day from the top floor of Sheffield Hallamshire. I can even see my childhood home. Now off to Chesterfield hospital for different appointment. My next mission is to try and unify appointments for the sake of all my wonderful lift givers.

Keep going.