Hello

• 5 replies
  • 54 subscribers

Hi all, 

I hope you are having as best a day as you can.

I am a dad to a beautiful, courageous 18 year old daughter.

4 years ago she was diagnosed with a grade 2 astrocytoma and to date has had 3 surgical resections.

We were told that follow up scans were showing no re growth but now in the most recent on their most certainly is!

She has now transitioned to adult services and we had a meeting with her new Neurosurgeon.

He took a lot of time to explain her situation and to point out that for the best outcome he needs her awake during surgery.

Despite his assurances that there will be no pain she is understandably freaked out at the thought.

He has also said that in his experience these tumours always come back which has hit us all a bit hard and we are in shock.

She has been driving a year and loves it! She is about half way through her advanced driving.Having to stop driving is going to be a real wrench.

She also has just got her first real job and their is a real worry that she will loose this.

That's it in a nutshell but I do have 2 questions.

Does she have to surrender her licence immediately? and when would be the best time to tell her work and how?

• Hello

I'm so sorry to hear of your daughter's illness, I know what you are going through as my eldest son who is 29 was diagnosed with an oligodendroglioma in April, he has had surgery which went well and radiotherapy and just started a round of chemotherapy, this is all to keep the disease at bay as the cells are still there, dormant but could raise their ugly heads at any time. My son loved to drive and cars and driving them played a big part in his life so he's had to adjust too, he had to surrender his driving license almost immediately he was diagnosed, I think the NHS notify DVLC. I would probably notify her work fairly quickly as they should be supportive. My sons employers have been extremely good.

When my son had surgery he was told that he would have to be awake and was abit freaked out too but in the end he didn't need to be awake, it's all scary because we always think these things happen to other people, I hope you can stay positive, I find it difficult some days but I'm inspired by how positive my son is and still living his life to the full as much as he can with ongoing treatment.

Kind regards to you, hope this helps.

• So sorry to read about your daughter. My son was operated on whilst awake. He was asked questions..or asked to count etc. Diff1erent things that involved movement etc. They test different areas of the brain. In our son' case they were concerned about his speech so by doing this they could keep a close eye on things as they went. He had no memory if it or any pain . He recovered very quickly. T

His symptoms in the beginning were vacant seizures so he had to give up driving from the start, he was a bus driver. The company gave him a position in the office .

I am so sorry your daughter is having to go through this. Wishing you all the best

I

• Sorry I replied to Jam Butty instead so my reply is under that ine

• Hi, I’m sorry to hear about your daughter - it sounds like you’re really there for her, and I’m sure she appreciates that Heart

I was diagnosed with a grade 4 astrocytoma 2.5 years ago and after my op, chemo and radiotherapy, I’m doing well with 6-month MRI check-ups. It’s a scary time that you can only deal with a bit at a time, but support is key, and looking after yourself whenever you feel overwhelmed.

As for the driving, I was advised to surrender my drivers license to the DVLA asap after diagnosis, as that makes getting it back easier. And sure enough, a year later I was told that without seizures (I’m on medication which keeps them at bay), I can get my license back. I actually haven’t, as I don’t drive any more, but hopefully your daughter will be able to resume driving if all goes well.

I’m sending you and her all my best wishes, and hoping for happy news,

Alex x

• Hi Grey Beard

a warm welcome to the online community. So sorry to hear about all your daughter and the family are going through. Life's cruel.

To echo some of the comments that have already been posted. I suspect the Dr will have alerted DVLA and if not, you should as here insurance may not be valid if she were to have a bump since things have altered just now. Depending on the outcome, she may get her licence back. There are guidelines on the DVLA website about it.

With regards to her employer, as a team manager, I would encourage her to be open and honest with them. You didn't mention where she is working but hopefully they will be supportive in the circumstances. Honesty is always the best policy here.

This  is a safe and supportive space so please reach out here anytime. There's always someone about to listen as you've. We all get it. You're not alone here. We've got you.

It’s always good to talk so please remember that you can also call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, emotional support, benefit and financial guidance or just a listening ear.

For now though I'm sending you both a huge hug and lots of positive energy.

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm