Lung & brain cancer

• 1 reply
  • 54 subscribers

Hi im mandy and I was after any advice about my mum.

My mum is 80 and last week they found she had lung cancer which has also spread to her brain.

They told mum they wouldn't do a biopsy as her lung could collapse and cause further complications.

My mum has refused any intervention and has been sent home.

I have so many questions like how long will she have to live without treatment she says she can feel her body changing already is this good or bad 

Any info is helpful 

• Hi Mandy

a warm welcome to the online community. So sorry to hear about your mum. 

Your mum's medical team are the ones best placed to give you a clearer picture here but even then there are no hard and fast rules here. All doctors can give is best guesstimates based on published averages and no one is average. Everyone is unique.

I supported my late husband G through the three years of his stage 4 brain tumour journey. He had 6 weeks of treatment following his surgery in Sept 2020 then said no more and declined all further offers of treatment. Its hard to accept but at the end of the day it's their decision and much as we love them, we need to respect that.

I'd suggest that you be led by what your mum wants and can cope with. Take each day as it comes. 

This community is a safe and supportive space so please reach out here anytime. There's always someone around to listen who gets it, someone to hold your hand and to offer a virtual hug when its needed. You're  not alone. We've got you.

There are a couple of other groups you might want to explore

Lung cancer forum | Macmillan Online Community

Brain cancer forum | Macmillan Online Community

It’s always good to talk so please remember that you can also call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, emotional support, benefit and financial guidance or just a listening ear.

For now though I'm sending you both a huge hug and lots of positive energy

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm