Mum at end of life

• 6 replies
  • 54 subscribers

Mum was diagnosed with brain cancer at the end of April this year. 3 weeks back she was told she a grade 3/4 Gliobastoma - most likely Multiform, but still awaiting confirmation. It doesn't matter though as she is now at end of life and in a coma. Throughout this time mum has suffered from steriod induced psychosis and severe edema in her legs and was told she was not strong enough for chemo. My heart is breaking watching her slowly fade and the grief is unbeatable. We have maybe days left with her but apart from an occasional hand squeeze nothing to indicate she is still there.

• Hi Nessie71 welcome to the forum and I am so very sorry to hear what has been happening for you and your beloved mum.  I have heard it said on many occassions that the hearing sense is the last to go when someone is unresponsive and it may be that your mum can hear you talking to her. Are there things you want to say or things that you haven't said but wished that you had? Keep talking to her as if she was in the room but cant answer you. 

Thinking of you. xxx  

gail

Community Champion Badge

• I’m so so sad for you, and thinking of you and your mum. Hand holding and quiet talking (maybe music if she had any favourites?) are still a way of sharing time with a loved one. Look after yourself too, sending love xxx

• Mum passed away on Saturday SobSobSob

• I was just this minute wondering about her. Heart️ Sending you my love and a huge huge hug to you, your family and friends.
    I lost my dad to a glioblastoma a few years ago, and after all the grief (also anger, confusion and many other weird emotions) I’m left with the wonderful memories of him.

i hope you’ll find a place where you can remember her happily too, but until then, take your time and be well xxx

• Hi Nessie71

so sorry to hear your sad news. Life's too cruel for words sometimes.

I lost my husband to GBM last October so can relate to what you are going through.

Please know that this community is a safe and supportive space and we're all still here for you. You're not alone.

sending love and light and hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm