• 17 replies
  • 52 subscribers

Hi everyone,

I've been recommended this forum because I feel very lonely

at the moment, my Dad is currently in palative care at home

and in his final weeks, after fighting a glioblastoma

diagnosis the past year and half. 

My dad is my best friend and I'm really struggling

with what's about to happen, I feel very isolated. 

I'm currently taking care of my Dad along side my Mum,

but it's really hard. I just wanted to reach out to people

who understand what this feels like, as my support

network don't understand and I feel like a burden

Thank you for your time x 

• It looks like you’ve had loads of replies already which is good, but I just wanted to say hello too. You might feel alone but you’re not - I’m new to this forum, but there’s always someone about for a virtual hug .

My dad was diagnosed with GBM seven years ago, and I found I have a stage 4 astrocytoma in 2022, but our two experiences couldn’t be more different. I just want to say that this is new territory so just be gentle with yourself. Guilt is not something you need to worry about - you’re there, and you care, and that’s all that matters.

I’m going to ‘parent’ you here, but please don’t forget to eat (I lived on avocados when I had no appetite, healthy but easy is good).

Here’s your virtual hug! X

• Thank you so much! It's means alot you messaging me! Thank you for the advice and hug! Its made me realise there's other people who understand and that helps me! 

I'll try to make sure I'm eating right Thank you x 

• Hi,

I'm sending lots of love to you right now and I really hope you're doing as well as you can.

I really resonate with your story- it's oddly familiar to mine at the moment. My Dad has glioblastoma (for over 2 years now), he was given weeks/short months back in November and I'm supporting my Mum whilst she cares for him at the moment. I really resonate with your comment below about trying to find ways to make your Dad smile- I try and do this every day too but sometimes it's a little easier than others.

It's really tricky to articulate how you feel to people who aren't going through the same thing/or have ever been remotely in the same situation. You don't want to put your feelings on other people or feel any more alone than you do already once you've opened yourself up. It's a really vulnerable position to be in but you are not a burden at all and we're all here to support you.

Please be kind to yourself and know that you deserve to have some time to make sure you are feeling okay in yourself. Whatever that looks like.

Sending love and light Sparkling heart

• Thank you so much for reaching out! I've never spoken to anyone in the same situation as me and I find great comfort in hearing from you! 

My dad has been given around two weeks now, he's still fighting but losing control over his body now and can't move anymore. He's really confused aswell and says alot of things, he didn't recognise me the other day. 

Thank you for your support and kind words, it's nice to know there are people like you who are there. 

I'm really sorry you're going through this too, I'm sending lots of love your way x

• Hi my lovely, my husband has also been diagnosed with stage 4 brain cancer, may I ask how old you are? Xx

• Hello! It’s not always easy to know who’s talking to who, but I’ll butt in and tell you that I have stage 4 astrocytoma in the left temporal lobe and I’m 52 (I was 50 when it was diagnosed). 

how is your husband doing and how was he diagnosed? It was a seizure for me, and I’ve only had one since the operation.

sending you love and wellness x

• Hi CFL

How your post resonates with me.

My husband has a stage 4 glioblastoma, is not having treatment and has opted for palliative care.  He is at home and my two wonderful sons are sharing his care.  They both work, and do not live local, nevertheless they are here by their dad's side and mine, as much as time allows.  Both of them have understanding employers which really helps.

My sons and I do share our thoughts and feelings although I do see in them how hard they are finding this journey, and I appreciate they have thoughts and feelings they cannot share with me.  They have always had a wonderful relationship with their dad; he has been their friend, mentor, confidante, guide, the one who brings them back down to earth when they have strayed.  Supporting this wonderful man through such a tough journey when he has always been there to support them is clearly very hard for them; I know. I am their mum and I know them well.

You will move forward, your dad's love and guidance will always be with you, you clearly hold him in your heart and that is where he will always be.

Believe me, you are not a burden to anyone.  Whilst you may not see it now, what you are doing now is one of the greatest acts of love.  Your dad is surrounded in love, and believe me you are a strength to mum too.

Unless people have experienced a close loss, or have cared for someone close it is not always easy for them to be supportive or "listen", they just do not know how to.

The fact that you have reached out to this forum means you are able to look for support and are managing your feelings; you are stronger than you think.

Stay strong and brave young man.  I would be lost without my sons.

Take care x