New to group.

• 4 replies
  • 54 subscribers

Hi, 

Had a quick look through messages and just wanted to say hello,

I've recently (August)  found out I have a small 7mm meningioma, this was an incidental find during a CT scan for a head injury. I had acute lymphoblastic leukemia as a child twice and was treated with whole body radiation I also suffered ovarian failure and have been on hormone replacement therapy since my teen years so most likely these factors play a cause in the diagnosis. I have a second scan booked for February 2024. Just wondering how people cope with the waiting? I keep myself busy with work and I am not particularly worried as I know this is very benign tumor type, however, the waiting to see what's happening is stressing me out. Probably not something that can be helped but I'd be interested to know if other people feel the same and if you've found ways to deal with it? 

Thanks in advance

Em 

• HI Em

a warm welcome to the group. Waiting is horrendous so I hear you! .

My late husband had a stage 4 brain tumour and waiting between having the MRI done and then speaking to the consultant was horrific. He found the cycle of 3 monthly scans tough too as he worried about going for the scan itself then worried about the results. 

I always worked on the theory that if anything was urgent they would want to see you sooner rather than later so waiting for a few months is in a way a positive as they aren't rushing to investigate. When G was first diagnosed everything happened really fast and within 3 weeks he'd had his first scans, diagnosis, surgery and confirmation of diagnosis. That was a horrendous whirlwind. 

Easier said than done but try to put it to the back of your mind. If the medical team don't want to see you for six months between appointments take comfort in that and take it as a positive. 

This is a safe and supportive space so please reach out here anytime. There's always someone around to listen who gets it, someone to hold your hand and to offer a virtual hug when its needed. You're not alone. We've got you.

It’s always good to talk so please remember that you can also call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, emotional support, benefit and financial guidance or just a listening ear.

I'm sure some of the others will be along shortly to share their coping strategies but please try to relax and not fret about the follow up appointment. If the professionals were worried they would want to see you far quicker than that.

Avoid Dr Google too. He's a scary dude and best avoided.

For now though I'm sending you a huge virtual hug and lots of positive energy.

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thank you for your reply, it's good to know there is support available, I'm currently having a wobbly week shall we say, as it's now the new year and things are getting closer. I'm trying to find new ways to keep occupied at the moment so I'm taking up a new dance class with a friend. Fingers crossed I'm not as uncoordinated as I think I am 

Thanks

Em

• one step at a time. Breathe.  You'll get there and we're here for the wobbly days 

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hello Em

I can feel where you are at at the moment. The new year can make us all feel uncertain and wobbly, but instead of focussing on what we are unable to do, focus on what we can do. The dance class is such a positive thing to do plus it will be fun. I’ve just found a group near me that I’m going to join after next week. Being positive requires hard work, but it’s worth it. Catching up with loyal friends, even for a cup of tea could help. Catching a film or starting another hobby will help. And if the day is bad for you, a hair wash and a bit of eyeliner works wonders. Always here. X