Hello

• 2 replies
  • 54 subscribers

Hi all. My sister has been diagnosed with a stage 4 tumour. All very sudden. She currently is struggling with mobility, is very depressed, and my rock star brother in law is caring for her whilst also trying to hold down his job. Surely there is more help? Just to give him respite? He needs help showering her for a start. So so sad. 

• Go through your GP. They can put you in touch with people. My husband had Rapid Response for five days when he came out of hospital but that then stopped and they put us in touch with our councils Micro Providers. We applied for Attendance Allowance and this covered the cost of one visit each morning. Unfortunately things have moved on and my husband has now been granted Continuing Health Care which covers more care.MacMillan helpline should be able to point you in the right direction.

• Hi Rach74

a warm welcome to the group. So sorry to hear about your sister. Life's too cruel.

As Evajean suggests, your sister's GP is the ideal person to put some practical support in place so they  would be my first port of call.

There's some general guidance on the main body of the website too. here's the link

Supporting someone with cancer | Macmillan Cancer Support

Please remember that the helpine is there too and they may also be able to provide additional information. The number is below

I hope they get some support put in place soon .

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm