Mum & I

• 2 replies
  • 54 subscribers

Hello

I have been caring for Mum since her diagnosis of small cell lung cancer last year. She is expected to live until Christmas this year.

At the end of April I was taken to A&E with stroke symptoms. However, after an MRI I was told that it is a meningioma, not a stroke. I don't have an appointment with Neuro-oncology until September. I'm trying to take the attitude that if the docs aren't in a hurry, it can't be that bad. But all you hear on the news is how far behind the NHS is with treatments.

My left arm is still a bit iffy since the episode, so it is pressing on something.

I'm worried about looking after mum while I'm having treratment.

• HI Buggirl

a warm welcome to the group. So sorry to hear about all that is going on between yourself and your mum. 

I'm supporting my husband through his stage 4 brain tumour journey. He was diagnosed  early Sept 2020 at the height of covid and surgery/treatment followed very swiftly. I would draw some comfort from the fact that the doctor's haven't placed any urgency on your appointment. That said if you are still having issues I would perhaps suggest speaking to your GP and see if they can speed things up. Not knowing is far worse than knowing.

I've taken the liberty of looking up some info from the main website. It may be things you already know but it might answer some questions you have

Meningioma | Macmillan Cancer Support

I'd suggest talking to your mum's GP about making a care plan for when you are receiving treatment. Hopefully they'll be able to put something in place to make things easier for you both.

This is a safe and supportive space so please reach out here anytime. There's always someone around who gets it, someone to listen, to hold your hand and to offer a virtual hug when its needed. You're not alone. We've got you.

It’s always good to talk so please remember that you can also call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, emotional support, benefit and financial guidance or just a listening ear.

For now though I'm sending you a huge virtual hug and lots of positive energy. Stay strong.

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thank you Wee Me. I really appreciate you taking the time to message. The virtual hug is gratefully received!

As you said, not knowing what will happen is driving me nuts.

I will defiantly contact mum's GP. I've been trying to do everything myself, but I think I'm going to have to ask for  help. Thanks for your advice.

Wishing you and your husband all the best.