New here

• 1 reply
  • 54 subscribers

Wanted to say hello

had devastating diagnosis of glioblastoma while on holiday in Germany…. Had prolonged fit , Ct showed large tumour which they removed and now home in uk waiting treatment 

im retired GP and have to say did not really have symptoms that would have alerted me apart from headaches at end for 1 week

positivity and staying active is my mantra at moment and being thankful for amazing family and friends 

it’s good to be able to talk to others who know how I feel , atm angry and resentful…. Why me , I’m fit and healthy lifestyle ???? But cancer is very random and I know there’s no reason necessarily 

current medical treatment improves all the time and we have to put our faith in modern medicine 

I have heard some very positive outcomes 

my thoughts are with you all

• Hi

A warm welcome to you. Sorry to hear about  your diagnosis. Life's too cruel.

My husband (then 50) was diagnosed GBM in Sept 2020. He had very little warning either. He's fitness freak (a marathon runner) and had a funny turn while out running about 6 weeks before. He was running and realised he didn't know the word for pavement and in fact for several minutes didn't know any words. A scan showed a gold ball sized tumour in Broca's Area of the brain. He too had surgery followed by 6 weeks of oral chemo/radiotherapy then in Jan 2021 declined all further offers of treatment.

He has maintained a positive attitude throughout and I am sure that, plus his physical fitness, has stood him in good stead. He has far exceeded the expectations of his medical team and even though we are now under local palliative care, he has walked about 15 miles today. 

This is a safe and supportive space so please reach out here anytime. There's always someone around to listen who gets it, someone to hold your hand and to offer a virtual hug when its needed. You're not alone. We've got you. 

You might want to explore one of the other groups- Glioblastoma multiforme brain tumour forum - Macmillan Online Community. Personally, while I appreciate I am on the other side of the equation, I have drawn a lot of support from this community over the past two years plus.

It’s always good to talk so please remember that you can also call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, emotional support, benefit and financial guidance or just a listening ear.

For now though I'm sending you a huge virtual hug and lots of positive energy. Stay strong,

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm