Newly diagnosed

• 2 replies
  • 55 subscribers

Hi All

My father in law was diagnosed with a stage 4 glioblastoma earlier this year. They removed 80% and then went back in to drain fluid. He came out of hospital a week ago but life is very different and difficult for everyone now.
He’s 75 but was a very fit, healthy and very placid man until this. He’s now a shadow of himself, his mobility is poor and he’s quite aggressive. My mother in law is caring for him but is finding it very difficult. Does anyone know if there are day centres or support groups he can go to to give my MIL some respite?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

• Hello IvfMum

I am very sorry to hear that your father in law has had a diagnosis of a grade 4 glioblastoma earlier this year. This must be a worrying time for you all, especially as he was very fit and healthy before. The change in his temperament must be difficult to cope with. 

I would suggest contacting his GP/nurse team and express concerns that your mother in law is finding it difficult to manage his care and that you all need some support. That is not to say that your Mother in Law is not doing her very best, just that anyone in these circumstances need some caring support.

There may well be some day centres/support groups in your area that could help but because we do not know where you are based it is difficult to recommend anywhere. Your GP/Nurse team may well be able to recommend some places however if you are able to give the support line on here a quick call and tell them which area you are in they may well be able to help. The support line number is at the bottom of this.

Alternatively you could click on this link and do a search by putting your area/post code in the search box

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/in-your-area?sc_trk={5CCB5507-9F74-4344-BEC3-5959C866622A}

I hope this helps a bit but if there is anything else we can do to support any of you, please do ask

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• HI IvfMum

a warm welcome to the group. So sorry to hear about your father-in-law.

I would echo Jane's advice and reach out to the GP for some local support.

My husband was diagnosed GBM4 in Sept 2020 and the first few weeks/months after his op were difficult as he wasn't the person he had been before. As he healed this settled down. Initially I feel the steroids played a large part in the behavioural changes but I accept that he needed them. (In fact he needed them longer than he was taking them for. He was binning them latterly behind my back!) Once they were out of the equation he became more reasonable Might be worth talking to your father-in-law's medical team about the changes in him and see if a tweak of his medication is needed.

This is a safe and supportive community so please reach out here anytime. As you've seen there's always someone about to listen who gets it, someone to hold your hand and to offer that virtual hug when its needed. You're not alone. We've got you.

It’s always good to talk so please remember that you can also call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, emotional support, benefit and financial guidance or just a listening ear.

For now though I'm sending you and your mother in law a huge virtual hug and lots of positive energy. Look after each other. This is a tough emotional rollercoaster ride so please take care of yourselves here too.

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm