Feeling helpless

• 2 replies
  • 54 subscribers

Hi, I am new to the forum but in need of positive support. My 30 year old  very fit sports mad,newly married son has been diagnosed with Glio stage 2-3 Brain Tumour completely out of the blue, having had a seizure. Successful surgery has removed all of the tumour & is now in the last couple of weeks of Radiotherapy( 6 week course) month off then 12 months of chemo. He is coping remarkably well & keeping positive despite losing most of his hair! I am finding it difficult to keep emotions together, feel i can’t make it better ( out of my control) & worried sick for the outcome after the treatment. I know all about remaining positive, & having faith in the treatment but some days i feel overwhelmed with sadness & worry that he is having to go through this. x

• HI PetuniaPink

a warm welcome to the online community. So sorry to hear about all that your son is going through. Life's cruel. All those emotions you are going through are perfectly normal so please don't be too hard on yourself here.

I'm supporting my husband through his stage 4 brain tumour journey. He too is a fitness freak and was 50 when he was diagnosed in Sept 2020. In those first few weeks and on some days still, I went through every emotion in the book and then some. I've cried oceans of tears. Something I have learned is that its strongest and most resilient among us who show those emotions as it means we are dealing with them  and not bottling things up. 

There's lots of information on the main website that might help. I've taken the liberty of looking up some links that you might want to explore

Glioma brain tumour | Macmillan Cancer Support

Supporting someone | Macmillan Cancer Support

Emotional support for family and friends | Macmillan Cancer Support

This group is a safe and supportive space so please reach out here anytime. There's always someone about to listen who gets it. someone to hold your hand and to offer a virtual hug when its needed. You're not alone. We've got you.

You might want to  also take a look at a couple of other groups that I've personally drawn a lot of support from over the last 30 odd months 

Carers only forum - Macmillan Online Community

Family and friends forum - Macmillan Online Community

It’s always good to talk so please remember that you can also call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, emotional support, benefit and financial guidance or just a listening ear.

I hope some of this has been helpful.

For now though I'm sending you a huge virtual hug and lots of positive energy. Stay strong. You're coping so much better than you give yourself credit for (You'll just need to trust me on that)

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• thank you so much  Wee Me for your kind & supportive response. I will take a look at the links. I’m sorry to hear of your husband’s diagnosis & an ocean of years is exactly what comes & goes! 

Reaching out for support definitely feels like you are not alone & help is there.

sending virtual hug right back to you xx