Chinese whispers

• 2 replies
  • 54 subscribers

Hi everyone,  I hope I find you all relatively well and cheerful.  I was diagnosed with Glioblastoma a couple of months back, if it had not been for the initial talk with the neurosurgeon I doubt I would know yet what was going on.  He told me in no uncertain terms how long I could expect to survive and what the treatment is and what I could expect from it.  Since then however no one seems to be willing to tell me anything.  Any information or treatment I do get is like Chinese whispers, I ask one person who says she will talk to someone else who will give me a call.  Often the call comes when I am travelling to an appointment just down the corridor from where the call is coming from.  My wife has been excellent and would accompany me if I was to see a nurse as my memory is not what it was but even she finds remembering what is said in phone calls a challenge.  To get more meds is a similar procedure, the radiotherapy lot can give me somethings but not others, if they can’t give them they email my doctor so I can pick them up at my pharmacy.  They did not say they meant the hospital doctor and hospital pharmacy so having run out of nausea meds I phoned my gp only to be told they new nothing about this, back at radiology they decided to tell me it was the registra oncologist and the hospital pharmacy, that I did not know existed.  Two days ago I finished my standard radiation therapy despite having spent seven weeks being considered for a trial of a new therapy and drug combination.  I was waiting for the therapy when I saw the registrar oncologist in the corridor, despite me being due for a review she just smiled and waved and rushed off in another direction.  Later that day one of the Kates (one of five oncology nurses all named Kate) phoned me and asked if I was OK. presumably she will tell one of the other Kates and it will eventually get back to Catherine the oncology registrar who was running the trial.  Perhaps she has lost interest now I am not on the trial.  The neurosurgeon pulled out all the stops to get the debulking done as soon as possible as prompt treatment has better outcomes.  Messing on looking at the hydrogenation state of my tumour delayed my therapy by just under seven weeks until I was in a panic.  Catherine apologised blamed labs at other hospitals but did say that the latest CT scan showed no advance of the tumour.  Now I must wait another two weeks before any other consultation which will involve a three hour journey each way without any help with transport now.  Let’s just hope the railways are running that day as I am not allowed to drive and my wife is not confident driving in big cities.

• HI LSS

a warm welcome to the group. So sorry to hear about all that you have experienced recently. More and more within the online community I'm reading about people being passed from pillar to post. It's be beyond frustrating.

I've been supporting my husband through his GBM journey since he was first diagnosed in Sept 2020 and I can empathise with your tale. Since his diagnosis we have been referred through 10 separate hospitals,(including the children's hospital which did make me giggle) within out health authority for scans and appointments, seen 4 separate oncologists (lack of joined up thinking there too) and at the end of February were handed off to the local palliative care team. Only since that hand off do I feel as though we are finally being supported through this journey. 

I grown sceptical of the timeframes quoted over time. They are best guesstimates based on published averages and no one is average. Everyone is unique. Back in Sept we were told G had 12-15 months. Now 33 months down the line he's still here, albeit in in final stages of this rollercoaster ride. Even in Feb this year, as we were passed into the palliative realm, we were told "A few weeks, 2-3 months at most". That was 12 weeks ago come Monday. Please don't get too hung up on whatever timeline they've quoted to you. 

This community is a safe and supportive space so please reach out here anytime. We're here for your wife too should she need to reach out. Personally I've drawn a lot of support from this community. There's always someone about to listen who gets it, someone to hold your hand and to offer that virtual hug when its needed. You're not alone. We're here for you.

It’s always good to talk so please remember that you can also call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, emotional support, benefit and financial guidance or just a listening ear.

For now I'm sending both you and your wife a huge virtual hug and lots of positive energy. Stay strong.

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thanks Wee Me I can see why you are a community champion.  I am in a lull at present with nothing happening again for another week then a meeting with the oncologist.  In the meantime my whole family’s lives are put on hold, I’m sure you know what that feels like.  For now I will try to keep cheerful by believing I will be given the go ahead to return to my daughter and her family in France, a last chance to see my grand kids.  Keep up the good work I for one am much appreciative of your efforts.