Advice please

• 1 reply
  • 54 subscribers

Hi! 

I’ve been having a lot of neurological symptoms since beginning of March. Numbness and tingling in limbs, head, face, weakness of my right side, almost daily headaches, a lot of dizziness/vertigo, confusion & forgetfulness. Hand seizures and that’s all I can remember right now. 

I had my MRI done last Friday (12th) can I ask how soon back from your mri’s did you find out you had a brain tumor and who told you? I am driving myself up the wall with fear and anxiety. 

also what were your first symptoms? Thank you! 

• Hi Romancereader17

a warm welcome to the online community. So sorry to hear about all that you are going through. No knowing is so much scarier than knowing and waiting for results is torture!

I can only speak from my experience of supporting my husband through his stage 4 brain tumour journey. I'm sure others will be along shortly to tell you about their own experience.

In my husband's case, he had a funny turn while out running in mid-July 2020 where he forgot what words/language was. Long story short, he went via an online GP referral through private health care he had through work. They sent him for an initial CT scan. This showed something there and the following week the local private hospital referred him back into the NHS loop. Once back there, he went for  initial MRI/CT scans and was lucky enough to get the basic results from the consultant the same day. Again this confirmed that there was a something, a primary brain tumour but not the grade nor type. We met with the neurosurgeon 10 days later and he was operated on the following week. I'm not sure that this speed is the norm, to be fair.

He has had regular MRI scans every 3 months since and for those we needed to wait a couple of weeks for the results.

This is a safe and supportive space so please reach out here anytime. There's always someone about to listen who gets it, someone to hold your and to offer that virtual hug when its needed. You're not alone. We've got you.

My personal experience lies more in a scare around a kidney tumour. I remember only too well how scared I felt at that time. In  my case they did a biopsy before confirming the diagnosis which fortunately came back benign. It's human nature though to be scared and fear the worst.

Please stay away from Dr Google - at least until you get your scan results. Dr Google is a scary dude!

It’s always good to talk so please remember that you can also call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, emotional support, benefit and financial guidance or just a listening ear.

To find information covering diagnosis, treatments and pages covering most types of cancers check our Online Information and Support Section

For now though, I'm sending you a huge virtual hug and lots of positive energy. Stay strong.

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm