Newby with stupid questions

• 1 reply
  • 54 subscribers

Having struggled to sign up here because my brain isn't functioning as it used to, and my vision is blurred and I've lost my sense of taste and it may be all down to the steroids or not. I am feeling really annoyed with myself.

I had several, what were thought to be strokes starting 5 weeks ago, I'm now told that I have a lesion in some sensory part of my brain, but quite what it is no-one is prepared to commit themselves. I've had a Cat or two, and MRI and I have a Pet next week. Whether it's primary or secondary is an open question. One surgeon doesn't want to do a biopsy but another wants to reconsider.

I suspect that the dexamethasone is causing the side effects, as I've said, blurred vision, loss of taste, burning sensation to the tongue, sleeplessness, raging hunger- if that is the case then I can get on with life. If the symptoms are from the tumour then I ought to be a bit careful because it's boring trying to get an ambulance when I suddenly can't breathe.

I'm old, depressed and with an awful lot of things to do to keep going, or to start packing up years of accumulation so that my poor wife doesn't have to sort everything out.

• Hello dogcatcher

Welcome to the Online Community. I hope that you will find it a supportive place where you can share your experiences with others. 

I am sorry to hear you have a lesion in your brain. It must be such a worrying time for you. I see that you have a Pet scan next week and I hope that this will give you some answers and will enable you to know what the next steps are. 

You say that you are on dexamethasone and it is causing side effects but you are not sure if the symptoms are from the tumour. If in doubt I would recommend erring on the side of caution and contacting your doctor for advice. You could also give the support line a call on here and ask for advice. The number is below. 

And no question is a stupid question, please feel free to ask away on here as there will be people here who will understand what is happening to you and will want to offer support. 

Take care

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm