New here, but feeling like a Cancer tourist now

• 3 replies
  • 54 subscribers

In short I had primary Stage 3 bowel cancer in 2018, they took it out followed by Chemo and life went on.

2020 gave me a secondary on the Liver and they ablated it and I was back at work in 5 days

202came back with avengence and I had half of my liver removed, life carried on

I was given the all clear in November 2021, only to discover it was back in December (wrong scan) this time in my lungs but to small to treat.

Roll on 8 months 1 tumour becomes 3 and they think it might be to big now…...

Anyway the surgeon does an operation in August 2022 and sent me a letter saying he had done such a good jobe removing both tumours he was cancelling planned further treatment.

The numerically observant of you will have figured this next part out, I had lung oblation in January 2023 and given the all clear in the final week of february 2023(last week)

I had vision problems last week (4 days after all clear) and came into hospital, at first they thought it might be a TIA but the CT scan shows a 1.8x1.7mm) in my lower right occitipal lobe which controls vision, my follow up MRI shows a single tumour but the medication is making my head fuzzy.

I am currently in the QEHB trying to not cause any waves, mentally I know I can beat this one but worry about what comes next as I didnt think I would be her for another 3 to 4 years, unfortunately I have taken a deep dive on the statistics and wish I hadnt.

The next few days will start providing the answers to questions I have tried not to think about, also I have to much to do to lave so soon.

One of my projects to get me through the next period is to make a small set of video podcasts that will look at

1-Bowel cancer and statistics

2-My Journey so far

3- my current journey(although this all changed last week)

Thats enough for tonight,  good luck eveyone

Regards

Martin

• HI

a warm welcome to the group. I really don't know where to begin...what a journey you've been on!

I guess all I can suggest for the next few days is "don't consult Dr Google"  - he's a scary dude! Deal with the known facts and what your team are telling you and not the what ifs. Everyone and their situation is unique so none of the published averages necessarily fit.

Please take this one step at a time. 

This is a safe and supportive space so please reach out here anytime. There's always someone about to listen who gets its, someone to hold your hand and to offer that virtual hug when its needed. You're not alone.

It’s always good to talk so please remember that you can also call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, emotional support, benefit and financial guidance or just a listening ear.

I love the idea of podcasts/vlogs of your journey. I'm currently supporting my husband through his stage 4 brain tumour journey and have written a few blog for the online community over the past year or so. 

Writing/vlogging is also a great coping mechanism. I journal a lot and seeing the words down on the page really does help to take some of power/fear out of them.

I'm sure others will be along shortly to add their thoughts here. For now though I'm sending you a huge virtual hug and lots of positive energy. Stay strong.

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thanks for the reply, I feel that with my own wife this is harder on her than me, she is my biggest advocate and is on the heels of the NHS every step of the way and they have dropped the ball a few times but we are still in the game.

Last night and this morning were tough for me as I was looking at statistics and that mixed with the new meds took me to a dark place, but the benefit of a bad memory is not holding onto that stuff for to long.

MDT tomorrow and a plan of action thereafter, my fellow inmates have been good company for the last week.

Sometimes all we can do is hope for the best.

Goodnight

• Just an update, I had surgery on Friday @QEHB and I feel remarkably well and was let out on Monday, I feel very well despite the steroids sending my diabetes through the roof and my anti seizure drugs dialing my brain down to 70%. I have some lifestyle changes to make but in the bigger picture that is not a big price to pay.