Hello everyone…

• 1 reply
  • 53 subscribers

My Mum has stage 4 cancer. Started as breast cancer but now she has 8 tumours in her brain. She has been having immunotherapy, gamma knife and chemo but recently just before Xmas she had to go into hospital due to a brain bleed on one of the tumours. Since being home her mobility has decreased a lot and she can’t use her right arm, it’s also constantly spasming. She is on a high level of anti seizure meds and as a result is really spaced out. She has an MRI scan on Friday and then the results next Wednesday. For the first time in her illness I feel like we are in the dark, she has declined a lot over the last month. Can it get this bad and get better once she has had gamma knife? Anyone been through something like this and have any experiences they could share? I feel so alone and scared at the moment. 

thanks for reading 

• HI Summerdays

A warm welcome to the group. So sorry to hear about all your mum has been through. 

I'm supporting my husband through his stage 4 brain tumour journey but he was never offered immunotherapy or gamma knife so I can't fairly comment on either option. 

I'm sure next Wednesday feels like a lifetime away right now but your mum's medical team really are the ones best placed to advise you here on the options going forward. Everyone is unique here and those guys know your mum's situation inside out. What you could do to prepare for the appointment is write down all your questions/fears/concerns and take those notes to the appointment. Those notes will act almost as a script and help keep you on track and make sure you don't forget to ask something that's important to you. Those appointments can be quite overwhelming.

This group is a safe and supportive space so please reach out here anytime. Personally I've drawn a lot of support from this community over the past couple of years. There's always someone about to listen who gets it, someone to hold your hand and someone to offer that virtual hug when its needed. You're not alone.

It’s always good to talk so please remember that you can also call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, emotional support, benefit and financial guidance or just a listening ear.

I'm pretty sure some of the other members of this group will be along shortly to show their support, offer their words of wisdom and share their experiences.

For now, I'm sending you a huge virtual hug. Stay strong here. It's a tough rollercoaster ride but you're coping so much better than you give yourself credit for. (You'll just need to trust me on that)

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm