Hello. Wife has Glioblastoma grade 4

• 3 replies
  • 54 subscribers

Hi. Not much to say by way of intro. My wife is on second line chemo (Lomustin) and is a bit slower than she used to be, a bit confused. She’s 45, we have kids aged 4, 8. Her prognosis is ‘in the months’ so we’re holding out for ‘lots of months’.

• Hi Herbie

a warm welcome to the group. Sorry to hear about your wife's diagnosis and all you are going through. Life's too cruel for words sometimes,

My husband then 50 was diagnosed GBM4 in Sept 2020 and given 12-15 months....he's still going strong (albeit a lot more confused these days than he was). I've come to accept that the timelines offered are best guesstimates based on published averages. Every person going through this journey is unique. not average.

Over the past 28 months or so I've personally drawn a lot of support from this group and Glioblastoma multiforme brain tumour forum - Macmillan Online Community. There's always someone around to listen who gets it, someone who understands, someone to hold your hand and someone to offer that virtual hug when its needed. You're  not alone.

It’s always good to talk so please remember that you can also call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, emotional support, benefit and financial guidance or just a listening ear.

Please reach out here anytime.

Promise that you will also take time for yourself. I appreciate that this isn't always easy but you need to take "me time" to recharge your batteries to help you to be in the best place to support your wife. it's not selfish, its essential. 

For now though I'm sending you all a huge hug and wishing you lots and lots of months

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi Herbie

So sorry to hear of your wife’s diagnosis. As everyone who is unfortunate enough to be a part of this community we can understand how difficult this time is for you. All I can say is everyone’s journey is different with the GBM4 diagnosis and there is no timeframe that anyone can give you / including doctors - that will be of any comfort. 

I posted my own story of my wife’s GBM4 journey in another thread on here which by all means have a read of (“My Wides GBM4 Journey”) but unfortunately she passed away on a December 3rd at just 46 years old. Others have shared stories of their loved ones outliving the generic 12-18 month prognosis they had been given so it really is different for everyone. All I can say is make the most of every day you have with your wife - due to the circumstances of my Claire’s situation it was very difficult for us to do this as she was unable to walk following surgery, but I was with her every minute I could be. It really is the most cruel of diseases. 

Take care