Been diagnosed a year but just found out its high grade. Really scared

• 2 replies
  • 54 subscribers

Hi,

I was diagnosed with a brain tumour after I starting have small conscious seizures whilst pregnant with my 2nd. It was suspected low grade so they said the pregnancy could continue as normal. 5 months after my son was born, a large part of the tumour was removed and tested. 2 weeks on from the surgery I have found out its actually a high grade tumour and need chemotherapy and radiotherapy. They were not very positive in telling me what was to come. I have such a young family and am only 36 myself. I fear for my children growing up without me, or the tumour turning me into someone I'm not. I've lived with this nearly a year, and only now being told how deadly it is, why has it been left so long! I'm angry and terrified and sad all at the same time. My children are young enough that I'm worried that won't even remember me. I just only hope that I can fight this and see them grow up. 

• i am so sorry to hear this. I agreed with you for leaving too long and let the cancer to grow. Stay strong, I know one of my fried in her 12th year, gets regular treatment and doing good xx

• HI reallife36

a warm welcome to the group. SO sorry to hear about all that you have been going through.  I'm not surprised your angry and terrified. 

My husband (then 50) was diagnosed with a stage 4 tumour (Glioblastoma) in Sept 2020 so I can empathise with where you are at. He too had surgery followed by chemo/radiotherapy and coped really well with both.

I'm not big on giving advice as you'll see from other posts on here, but please remember that everyone is unique here. Each tumour is unique in that its size and location and growth rate and pathology make it unique to you. Please focus on the known facts and try to avoid Dr Google - he's terrifying! Take this one step at a time. It takes time to digest all the information you're being given so please be patient with yourself. Let the emotions show. It's the most resilient people who show their emotion. By showing them you are in fact coping as you are dealing with the emotion rather than bottling it all up.

Can i suggest that you write down all your questions, fears/concerns and take those notes to your next appointment? Having that "Script" will help keep you on track and help ensure that you don't forget to ask something that's important to you.

This group is a safe and supportive space as you've already seen. Please reach out here anytime. There's always someone around to listen who gets it, someone to hold your hand and someone to offer that virtual hug when its needed. You're not alone,

It’s always good to talk so please remember that you can also call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, emotional support, benefit and financial guidance or just a listening ear.

For now, I'm sending you a huge virtual hug, positive vibes and love and light. Stay strong.

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm