My husband has died after a 15 month fight

• 6 replies
  • 54 subscribers

I still haven’t worked out how to take part in this site, I’ve craved help from the beginning with my husband’s diagnosis of gbm 4 I it was never good, he had an operation to remove as much as possible chemotherapy and radiotherapy followed until his consultant suggested no more help was available. After 15 month a the age of 63 he succumbed to the most evil of cancers. I look at photos no no than 2 years old and he looks amazingly healthy. It was a nasty difficult death and he stayed at home till the end, I cared.and loved him to the end but suffer with his loss of self and fears he had irrationally due to the nature of the disease, I lost my husband weeks before he died but still it does not feel real even after f I should have been preparing since June 2021

• Oh Lornaann, I am so sorry for your loss. You're so right though - GBM4 is the most evil of all things. My husband was diagnosed in Sept 2020 but to be honest the man I married disappeared around then too. I live with a very broken version of him but he's still with us and we're coping as best we can. 

I'm sorry you feel you haven't worked out how to get the best from the online community. We're all here for you. I took the liberty of looking up some info on the main website that you might find useful Coping with bereavement | Macmillan Cancer SupportThere is also another group that you might wish to explore in time Bereaved spouses and partners forum - Macmillan Online Community

Please also remember that you can also call the helpline. The number is below.

Sending you love and light and hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hello Lornaann,

I hope you don,t mind, but I felt I had to send you these few words, whilst at the same time pass on my deepest condolences to you and your family at the loss of your husband.    I felt a connection in as much, that I too lost my partner about 8 months ago to the same despicable disease. I   You feel broken and alone, which is quite understandable, and it seems there is no logic to how this could have happened.

My hope is that with the strength of your loving family and any other help you choose to access, you will find your way to manage and move steadily forward from this.    There is support out there and all I can advise is to take one small step at a time.   

Sending you the biggest hugs, also take care of yourself. Hugging

From Wembley ( Grin).xx

• Thank you wee me for taking the time to reply, you've given me some links and information that may prove helpful when the time is right, it still doesn't seem real even though the eventual outcome was something i had been aware of from the start, because he was so healthy and active the consultant initially suggested 2 or 3 years may be the prognosis.  My husband always seemed to be positive, willing to take whatever was offered to help and would talk in terms of years ahead but throughout treatment he had dreadful fear of covid (we have both managed to stay clear of that disease) but it did take away any desire to get out there and enjoy life while he was well enough, and there were quite a few months when he was well enough to travel but the damage to the brain brought him great fear of going out. Little walks in woodlands and parks were all manageable while he had the strength and we did make the most of that and his friends visited and walked the hills behind our home.

The last few months were quite different, his strength going, movement difficult, paranoia, compulsive writing and generally extremely unhappy, unfounded worries that couldn't be eased with words, comfort, diazepam or any of the other stuff put into a driver delivering increasing amounts of drugs.

Meanwhile i do have my family, they have their pain its not really the norm to lose your dad when you are in your 30's and have children you want your dad to see grow up. I'm taking my time to assess my future, do i return to work ? do i retire at 62 and make my garden and grandchildren my 'thing' ? time will tell.

Thanks again for caring

• Thank you Wembley,

I do appreciate your words of comfort and I'm sorry you've been through a similar thing so recently, It isn't easy, its still unreal, i know I'll adjust and cope in time even if it doesn't seem likely right now simply because people do. I expect the grief to stay but perhaps less raw in time. Wishing you all the best in coping with your loss and smiling about the good times of which i'm sure there were many.

Thanks again and take care x

• So sorry for your loss. I too am in the grieving process as my 51 year old brother succumbed to gbm in July 2022. My heart is broken but he battled hard for 14 months, he was on palliative home end of life for 10 weeks , he lost mobility, speech, suffered excruciating headaches, swelling, pain and lost consciousness in last four days, was on syringe driver for last three weeks. More funding needs to be put in to brain tumours and find a cure. Stay strong hold on to happy memories, and take peace he is pain free and flying high with the angels.️

• Hello Sad life 11

Thank you for sharing what must be an extremely difficult time for you right now, it seems as if there's no end to the

pain of a loss, because of its rawness.  My sympathies to you and your family too with your loss, and with what you described in your message.... I can relate totally to what my partner went through.       Yes, it's a comfort to you ( and myself) when I realise they are free of pain and in a much happier place.

Take care, take time, and stay as strong as you can. 

All the very best to you.  and hugs

Wembley.