Heartbroken

• 4 replies
  • 56 subscribers

I am posting here as some kind of outlet because I am just at a loss as to what to do. My wife was diagnosed with glioblastoma at the end of July after suffering migraines for a while and going to the optician thinking it was something to do with her glasses prescription being wrong! After being discharged from hospital to allow us to have our wedding and awaiting a date for operating to remove the tumour, we went to have the op two weeks later and although it was successful she suffered from a stroke as a result. We have been dealing with the effects of this stroke - paralysis on her right side and speech problems - ever since both in hospital and then at home for just under a week. But because of the stroke she was deemed not strong enough to start chemotherapy/ radiotherapy to get rid of the remaining tumour that couldn’t be removed. She made good progress and regained some movement in her leg and he speech improved a bit, but then another bombshell hit as her condition deteriorated again whilst at home. After readmitting her to hospital we have found out that the tumour has grown again in another area of the brain and is inoperable! I am absolutely heartbroken as we have now been discharged to have hospice care at home. I don’t really have any questions as such … I just wanted to post our situation on here in the hope that some comfort may come from it. 

• HI PGB

a warm welcome to the group and thank you for sharing with us. I am so sorry to hear about all that you and your wife have been through. Life is too cruel.

My husband was diagnosed with a glioblastoma in Sept 2020 so I can empathise with the journey you are on. It's not easy that's for sure.

Please reach out here anytime. There's always someone around to listen, someone who gets it, someone to hold your hand and offer that virtual hug when its needed. You're not alone. Personally, I've drawn a lot of support from this community over the past two years.

It’s always good to talk so please remember that you can also call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, emotional support, benefit and financial guidance or just a listening ear.

Please make sure you take care of yourself here and keep those wee batteries charged. It's not selfish to take some "me time"- it's essential to help you be in the strongest position to support your wife.

I understand that you don't have any specific questions at present, but should you have any further down the line, please reach out. There are another couple of groups on here that you might want to explore Carers only forum - Macmillan Online Community and Glioblastoma multiforme brain tumour forum - Macmillan Online Community

Sending you strength and love and light. 

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• My aunts went to see doctor 14 weeks ago with pains in her head been sick told to see opticians that came back clear she was off balance then told she had a trapped nerve to get sports massage witch she done still the same then was sent hospital after waiting 4 hours the doc said she wasn't in his catment area sent her back to doc to refer her to another hospital who did the ct scan 2 weeks latter and was still being sick after all that time I took her to hospital who then diagnosed her with can6of the brain now they say she's only got 4 month left I think there is neglect am I wrong to think this

• Hi Grace04

a warm welcome to the group. So sorry to hear about all that your aunt is going through. Might be an idea to speak to her medical team in the first instance to determine if things could have been handled better or her GP.

This group is a really safe and supportive space so please reach out her anytime. There's always someone around to listen, hold your hand and offer that virtual hug when its needed. You're not alone

It’s always good to talk so please remember that you can also call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, emotional support, benefit and financial guidance or just a listening ear.

Sending you love and light and hugs. Stay strong.

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Sorry to hear about your wife, a cruel nasty illness. Stay strong and positive, take one day at a time but make memories, laugh together, hold each other, tell her you love her and hold on to happy times but let sadness rob you of your time with your wife, my brother lasted 10 weeks by palliative care and I spent as much time as I could with him , because we can’t get that time back. Ask for help from professionals and don’t forget to think about your own wellbeing too . Stay strong you can do this , cancer is a evil and cruel disease.