New here

• 5 replies
  • 54 subscribers

Hi everybodymy name is Peter and I was diagnosed with a brain tumour at the start of 2020 and I am trying to get on with some sort of life now but I do feel it is really tough when it comes to dating and getting back into work with the after affects of the operation to remove it. I am now partially sighted and have cognitive and memory problems. I would like to chat to people who have had to deal with similar things,

• Hi Petermc7

a warm welcome to the group. Sorry to hear you've had a tough couple of years but great that you're picking the world back up.

For my own experience, its my husband who was diagnosed with a stage 4 brain tumour in Sept 2020 so our paths are very different here.

This group is a really supportive space so I'm sure there will be others along to share their words of wisdom shortly. 

Is there a Maggie's Centre anywhere near you? That may be something worth looking into Maggie's – everyone's home of cancer care (maggies.org).

It’s always good to talk so please remember that you can also call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week. They may be able suggest some further options to support you.

Sorry I am limited in the info and support I can offer at this point.  Stay strong. Stay positive and about all be you. Let the world adjust to you and not the other way round.

love n hugs

Wee me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thank you for taking the time to reply.mine was a grade 2/3 . Really sorry to hear about your husbands diagnosis it’s a brutal disease but I wish yous all the best  with everything and if you need to chat you know where I am x

• Hello Peter I am sorry to hear about all that you are going through .  I had a glioblastoma removed in june this year , it had already taken the sight in my left eye and a big percentage of my right eye . I had hoped it would improve over time but unfortunately it has not so know I am partially blind . I am no longer able to work . I cannot drive and before I was a very keen motorcyclist but now nothing !! 

I am lucky that I have a very devoted and caring wife who now drives me and unfortunately for her has become my guide dog . But it is very hard for her and I appreciate that and realise how lucky I am . I also have short term memory loss which is very frustrating  . I am coming to the end of my chemo and radiotherapy so hopefully things might pick up again and some sight might return , fingers crossed !!

I hope things improve for you soon and some of the things you hope for return in your life , please try to stay strong for yourself.  Hopefully we can all get clear of this awful monster . Regards  Charlie. 

• Hi Charles thanks for your message ! Yeah only thing we can do is stay positive that’s for sure but sorry to hear about your sight loss it is worse than mine I can see enough to live a semi normal life at least thankfully so glad to hear you have such an amazing support from your wife . I had to rely on my mum for a long while so we are lucky to have people like that in our lives! Really hope things improve for you. I am in a good place at the moment so have to try and enjoy life whilst I can but I will tell you what a little woman who was a fellow patient at the beatson told me the 3 A’s. Accept,adapt and advance I think it was a good wee saying. All the best with everything my friend and you know where I am if you need to chat. Peter

• Hello Peter and thank you for your kind words . I think one of the hardest parts of all of this is watching its effects on the people who care about you , it is such a bombshell for them to take in and so cruel , they really don't deserve it  . I can rationalise that this disease wants to and will take me , but why does it need to include all the innocent people around me , they cannot rationalise it and are devastated , then I feel guilty and more sorry for them , it 8s hard watching loved ones being so cruely upset by something they know so little about . 

A by product of birth is certain death but that does not help the innocents around me . 

I am staying strong and would like to prove the experts wrong but if you believe the science it's going to be a hard battle !! But I'm not ready to quit yet ! I like being alive to much for that !!!!  Let's all dig in and try to send this monster on its way !!! All the best regards Charlie.