New to the group

• 2 replies
  • 53 subscribers

Hello there. 

I am new to the group so just thought I'd share my story so far. 

Two weeks ago I was told I had a very large brain tumour growing in the insular part of the frontal lobe. I have my pre op next week then hopefully surgery the week later. Apparently it's been growing in there slowly for more than 5 years. Although the initial shock hit me hard it has slowly started to sink in. I am now just petrified about the surgery.

I know I need to take it one step at a time and get the surgery over before  discussion around plan, treatment after op etc it's just so hard putting on a brave face especially as I have a 10 year old who at this point doesn't know a thing. 

thanks for reading 

• HI Sazzy13

a warm welcome to the group. So sorry to hear about all that you are going through.  Be reassure that all the emotions that you are going through are perfectly normal so don't be too harsh on yourself.

As a suggestion, I'd advise you to write down all your questions/concerns and take those notes to your appointment. They will help keep you on track. These first few appointments can feel so overwhelming. 

Telling your 10 year old is an entirely personal decision but kids are very perceptive so chances are that they have guessed that something is going on. It might be better to be open and honest with them, using language that they will understand. Maybe ask some for guidance from your GP. I know our local hospice offer support with telling children and helping them cope with a loved one's diagnosis.

This is a safe and supportive group so please reach out here anytime, You're not alone, Everyone around her "gets it". There's always someone around to listen, offer some words of wisdom and that virtual hug when its needed.

It’s always good to talk so please remember you can also call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, emotional support, benefit and financial guidance or just a listening ear.

For now though, stay strong. I'm sending you a huge virtual hug.

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thank you for the such kind response I appreciate it. Xxx