My partner has recently been diagnosed with a brain tumour

• 6 replies
  • 55 subscribers

My partners personality has drastically changed and wonder if anyone else has experienced this, thanks

• Hi, hi…

I’m really too sorry to hear this. We are in the same boat. My dad is the kindest luckiest person ever and he keeps saying awful things to my mum. She is truly devastated. You are definitely not on your own. It’s all soo hard and I really feel for my mum. 
    I’m with you on this one xxx

• Hi, thanks for replying and so sorry to hear about your dad, I just find it hard that they aren't the same person and talk to you in ways they have never spoken before, I know it's not his fault, but it's still really hard not to take it personally xx

• Hi Louise 22

a warm welcome to you. Sorry to hear about your partner and the change in their personality. 

My husband was diagnosed with a GBM4 in Sept 2020. He suffered a seizure two days before his scheduled surgery and if I'm being totally honest, hasn't been the same person since. 

Initially after surgery he was prescribed a course of steroids and they affected his mood. It might be worth a discussion with your partner's medical team to determine if the medication could be playing a part here.

Any diagnosis is a huge amount for all involved to take on board. From my personal experience with my husband you need endless patience and hard as it is, try not to react to their mood changes. It's an emotional roller coaster ride for all involved.

As Hollyhock has said below, you're definitely not alone here. Everyone in this group understands and can probably relate all too well. This group plus a few others including (+) Carers only forum - Macmillan Online Community have bee a great source of support to me personally. Know that this is a space where there's always someone there to listen who gets it and someone to offer that virtual hug when its needed too.

It’s always good to talk so please remember you can also call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, emotional support, benefit and financial guidance or just a listening ear.

For now, I'm sending you a huge virtual hug. Stay strong. You're coping with this all so much better than you give yourself credit for.

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thank you for your message and sending me a virtual hug, it's only been a few weeks since his diagnosis,  but things have changed so much and it's so much to take on board. I feel better all ready that there are other people to talk to xx

• Hi Louise I can relate. my husband was diagnosed with CNS primary high grade lymphoma. He had three tumours From the very start the doctors seemed so positive that they could treat the tumours using the Matrix drugs. But we were warned it would be aggressive chemotherapy. We had no choice really, so we agreed. He is three rounds into the regime and his personality has changed so much. He is confused, frightened and almost hopelessly negative. From being a smiley happy strong husband in ten weeks our roles have revearsed. No one can really explain this to me but I am hoping it is the stress and chemo not permanent but it’s not knowing that’s the hardest to bear. Any answers anyone ? 

• Hi yes my brother who had gbm also had a different personality, he was quiet and withdrawn or sometimes angry and hallucinated but I calmed him down and stayed calm as I know it was the illness and not him . Stay strong and positive.