New here , recently diagnosed

• 2 replies
  • 53 subscribers

Hi all 

My dad  , just over 2 weeks,  been diagnosed with brain tumour,  it is quite large and aggressive so been told that there is no possible treatment,  we cannot believe this as was just feeling a little unwell,  bit confused and slight numbness in leg , our world has fallen apart , hospital and nurses been brilliant,  we have first meeting with palliative care nurse next week   sadly within 2 weeks we can see a change in his mood,  confusion,  unsteadiness and energy.  

I am just so frightened and worried on how will this progress,  

• HI Mrs S

a warm welcome to the group. So sorry to hear about your dad. Nothing prepares you for a diagnosis like that.

I am empathise with the emotions you and your family are going through. In early Sept 2020 my fitness freak husband, then 50, was diagnosed with a stage 4 glioblastoma.  His was a terminal diagnosis from the start. We were given a timeframe but I've come to realise that these are guidelines. There's no hard and fast rules here. We are now almost 4 months beyond the that timeframe.

I hope you get some clearer expectations set when you meet the palliative care nurse. Can I suggest that you write down all your questions and concerns and that those notes to the meeting. In the early days these meetings can feel quite overwhelming and its easy to forget to ask all your questions. Your notes will also help to keep you focused.

It's a huge amount for everyone involved to take on board. I know I felt I'd been flung onto this rollercoaster ride of emotions. Everyone is unique though and everyone reacts and copes differently here. There is no right and wrong way to feel. 

This group and Carers only forum - Macmillan Online Community have been a great source of support to me personally. Friends and family are great but they don't always get it. Around here there's always someone around who understands, someone to listen and someone to offer a virtual hug when its needed.

It’s always good to talk so do call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, emotional support, benefit and financial guidance or just a listening ear.

For now, I'm sending you a huge virtual hug. Stay strong. Stay positive. You are coping way better than you give yourself credit for, trust me.

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thank you so much for the reply means so much , will let you know how the meeting goes 

Sending a big hug back xxx