Biopsy day looming

• 3 replies
  • 53 subscribers

Hi all 

I’m Kerry, my biopsy is booked for Wednesday to establish the grade of the large tumour in my head (iv named it Boris)

Im relatively calm and ok with the procedure, and it’s being done as a day patient plus the team at Southampton have been brilliant in keeping me informed with what happens but what I cant seem to find out is how I’ll be after.

Does anybody have any experience of this ie just what to expect recovery wise etc I can’t seem to find any information anywhere. I want to try and prepare my partner as much as I can myself.

I’m generally fit and healthy and without the seizure two weeks ago would be none the wiser as I have literally no other symptoms, my tumour isn’t a mass it’s ingrained in my brain like marble cake apparently.

any help advise what to expect tips would really be appreciated 

thanks all

xx

• Hi Kerry

welcome to the group. Sorry to hear about what you are going through. Hopefully all goes smoothly on Wednesday and that they don't keep you waiting too long for the results.

This group is really supportive so hopefully someone will be able to offer some advice and words of wisdom shortly.

My own experience is based around caring for my husband who was diagnosed with a grade 4 brain tumour in Sept 2020. Initially they did discuss a biopsy but a few days later the plan changed and they took him to surgery to debulk the tumour.

From our own experience with the medical team, I'd encourage you to ask any and every question you have, no matter how trivial it might seem. Write them down ahead of the appointment so that you don't get overwhelmed on the day and forget to ask something important to you.

It’s always good to talk so you could also call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, emotional support, benefit and financial guidance or just a listening ear. 

sorry I can't offer more words of wisdom at this point. Stay strong. Stay positive. Sending you a huge virtual hug.

Will be thinking about you on Wednesday.

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thank you 

Biopsy went well now it’s just the wait for results, praying abs have  everything crossed it’s the grade 2 they are thinking it is.

I feel generally healthy so wondered what peoples experiences are with getting back to working out? I spoke to macmillan and they said watch my energy levels but I saw on here people still run etc is it ok or should I check with GP/team first?

Feel like I need some normal back in my life and working out every day is normal for me

much love to all

xx 

• Hi KT44

glad to hear all went smoothly. Sending positive vibes your way for  good results.

As for exercise, I'd strongly advise you check with your medical team first. That said my husband was back out running a few short weeks after his awake craniotomy. Within about 10 days of surgery he was going for long walks then a couple of weeks after that ventured for his first run. Now he is a marathon runner and very physically fit. His running is what is keeping him going. I have no idea how he's still doing it but he is. 

I'm sure you'll be pounding out the miles again soon. 

love n hugs 

Wee me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm