Hello new here

• 6 replies
  • 55 subscribers

Hello I am new here. 

I have recently been diagnosed with a brain tumour and got informed the tumour is a glioblastoma grade 4.i have had surgery and the the tumour has gone but have to have radiotherapy and chemotherapy to target any remaining cells left behind. 

• Hi. Read your post. I am currently being treated for endometrial cancer, but my son has exactly the same cancer as yourself. I just wanted to let you know that after removal of a huge tumour and chemo and radiotherapy he is now 7 and a half years down the road and still in remission. He had a fantastic team and his original prognosis was 15 months. I just wanted you to know that although you must be finding life so hard right now, there are so so many good stories out there. My son is living a normal life and is very happy. Wishing you good luck with your treatment. 
  • Hello thank you for your message. It is difficult to process everything right now but reading positive stories such as your sons give me hope thank you. I wish you well too. 

• You’re welcome. It’s impossible to explain to people what goes through your mind once you have your diagnosis but I found Macmillan a huge support. Thank goodness they are there. Friends and family are great but it’s good to have a chat with people you can be 100% honest with. Hope you are getting a lot of support. 

• HI Barbie34

Welcome to the online community.  Sorry to hear about your diagnosis but that's good that surgery has successfully removed the tumour.

My own husband was diagnosed with a GBM4 in Sept 2020. He too underwent surgery and the six weeks of chemo/radiotherapy. He coped really well with the treatment although he was really fatigued by week 4 and for about a month afterwards. He did comment that the radiotherapy mask was very tight and frequently complained that they squashed his nose during treatment! 

As Vizfan says below, this group is a great support so please feel free to reach out any time. There is also a separate GBM 4 group - (+) Glioblastoma multiforme brain tumour - Macmillan Online Community.

Please remember that Macmillan Support Services offers lots of information, support, financial guidance or just someone to listen. It’s free to call 0808 808 0000. Most services are available 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week. Have a look by Clicking here to see what is available. We also have our Ask an Expert section if you have a more specific medical/technical query, but do allow two to three working days for replies from our expert team.

Sending you a huge virtual hug. Stay strong.

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi there.

I've just been diagnosed with the same condition at 37 years old. I had my debulking surgery and start radio and chemo on 1st November. Will be following you and your story and sending you strength 

I have a 2 year old boy and I'm so determined to spend every day making him happy

Vicki Driver

• Morning thank you for your message, I  have my appointment with my oncologist next week regarding my chemo and radiotherapy. I hope your treatment goes well and will follow you on your journey too.