New to the group

• 1 reply
  • 53 subscribers

Morning. My step dad was told yesterday he has secondary cancer and it’s gone to the brain. 8 years ago he lost his eye and some of his face after finding cancer. He had various treatments and was told they hoped they had it all.  No it’s back and not treatable. The cancer he has got is very rare and they don’t know enough about it.

I feel so numb and empty, I’m trying my best to stay strong for mum and him. They haven’t give us a time as such just enjoy everyday, make memories, it’s more likely weeks/months but not years.

We are waiting to the palative care team to contact us. 

• Hi Brighteyes1000

welcome to the online community. So sorry to hear about your step dad. 

Feeling numb and empty after receiving such devastating news is normal. Its such a lot to take on board. Don't be too hard on yourself here. Coming to terms with news like that takes time.

I can empathise with how you feel. My husband was given a terminal diagnosis (brain tumour) just over a year ago. We were given a timeframe but after many tweaks and changes and additional information being disclosed months after the fact, we just take each day as it comes.  Be led by what your step dad wants but make those memories and enjoy every day.

This group is great for offering support as is the (+) Carers only forum - Macmillan Online Community. There's always someone here to offer a virtual hug. Remember too Macmillan Support Services also offer lots of information, support, financial guidance or just someone to listen. It’s free to call 0808 808 0000. Most services are available 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week. Have a look by Clicking here to see what is available. If you have any more technical/medical questions,  we also have our Ask an Expert section, but do allow two to three working days for replies from our expert team.

Sending you a huge virtual hug. Hang in there and stay strong.

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm