Mental Effects of Diagnosis

• 2 replies
  • 47 subscribers

Hello, everyone. I am 79 and have been diagnosed with a high grade glioma tumour, for which I am to undertake six radiotherapy sessions next month. The news has made me feel low and tired most of the time, but I wonder how much of this might be due to the depressing news and how much to the condition itself. Does anyone know?

Best wishes

Barrie

• Hi Barrie

welcome to the online community. Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. That's a lot to take in for anyone so feeling low and tired could easily be part of it all and not necessarily the tumour itself. Hearing any news like that triggers a multitude of emotional responses, all of which are perfectly natural, so don't be too hard on yourself.

My husband ( 50 at the time)  was diagnosed a year ago with a grade 4 glioblastoma and between us I think we went through every emotion in the book  and a few more besides. I can only comment on my experience of caring for him but tiredness and feeling a bit low were certainly in there. Its a huge amount to get your head round. Be patient with yourself and take it one step at a time.

If you have any concerns I'd advise talking to your medical team in the first instance but please remember that you can always reach out here or give us a call. Macmillan Support Services also offer lots of information, support, financial guidance or just someone to listen. It’s free to call 0808 808 0000. Most services are available 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week. Have a look by Clicking here to see what is available. We also have our Ask an Expert section, but do allow two to three working days for replies from our expert team.

Take care. Stay strong.

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm