GBM4 Any Info on Cerebral Breathing and experiences with Kepra and Bucon ?

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 8 replies
  • 53 subscribers

Update

Hi

After 2 sessions of Avastin my son developed an infection and had to stop all treatment. He is now 5 weeks off with this abcess which is slowly healing. His breathing is deteriorating and has to use wheelchair when out of the house. Things are just going from bad to worse we just need him to get back on treatment. Scan done this week showed no significant change in size of tumour since last March which we thought was good news.But pallative care nurse really rocked us today when she started talking about Cerebral Breathing, Seizures and DNR. She has prescribed Kepra and Bucon for him and arranging for hospital bed for his house. Has anyone got any information on Cerebral Breathing or any experience with these 2 drugs. Any information or helpful tips with dealing with his breathlessness would be greatly appreciated 

Thanks

Joe

Update 

Oncologist gave the go ahead to restart Avastin which went ahead today. Unfortunately the no significant change in size of tumour we were told has not turned out to be.This was based on the neurosurgeons view of the 2 latest scans. But when the report of the scan came back it showed an increase of over 1 cm in size. It is now affecting the Posterior Fossa as well as the Cerebellum and Brain Stem. So a day that started so brightly for him with restart of treatment has turned to darkness again it`s just heartbreaking. 

• Hi . I've a different type of cancer and just dropped by and noticed you've not had a reply as yet. By me replying it'll "bump" up your post to the top of the list. Otherwise might I suggest you change your post to read "Any info on Cerebral Breathing and experiences with Kepra & Bucon?" Then another member may be able to answer.

Sending you and your son all the best. Bx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to MrsBJH

Hi Mrs BJH

Many thanks for your reply and advice.Hope you are keeping well.

Take Care

Joe

• Hi

Just noticed your post. My husband has GBM4 too and takes Keppra as an anti convulsant because he had a seizure last Autumn. He talked coherently throughout and didn’t lose consciousness at all. He was put on 500mg Keppra which was raised to 500mg twice a day when he had another seizure. It seems to work pretty well. Still on same dosage now. Bucon is a painkiller I think. Not used it. Not familiar with Cerebral breathing. 

My husband has a hospital bed too which is easier for personal care.

Its all very daunting dealing with the amount of medical jargon as well as the illness itself.

Best wishes to you and your son.

Llamalover xx

• HI Joe

so sorry to hear about your son.

My husband was diagnosed with a GBM4 last Sept and has taken Keppra daily since his first seizure. He's had a few "episodes" since but nothing as scary as the first seizure.  Seems to be doing its job.His tumour was/is in the Broca's area of the brain so impacted his speech and understanding more than physical things. 

Sorry no experience of/knowledge of cerebral breathing so can't add any words of wisdom there.

stay strong

love n hugs

Wee Me x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Llamalover

Hi Liamalover

Many thanks for your reply hope you and your husband are doing well. My sons breathing is very bad any exertions or movements as in walking say 5 metres has him fighting for his breath. His tumour is in the cerebellum but has now extended to the brain stem. Maybe there is a different name for that sort of condition. He has had no seizures as of yet but pallative care nurse has arranged for him to take Keppra. We have been told that this drug can cause many side effects and mood swings. We have appointment tomorrow with oncology consultant praying that he can go back on treatment but his infection still not fully healed.

Take Care

Joex

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Wee Me

Hi Wee Me

Thanks for reply we spoke a few weeks ago. Hope you and your husband are doing well. He`s not doing too good last few days just praying that we get him back on treatment Appointment tomorrow .

Take Care

Joex 

• HI Joe1956

We're doing ok thanks, although my husband is very down and depressed at the minute (who wouldn't be?).

We never know if its the medication he's taking (he also takes a sleeping tablet and dexamethazone) or the brain tumour itself that gives him mood swings and confusion.. As far as we can tell the Keppra hasn't caused too many side effects, although he is very tired all of the time. I think he would be tired anyway, so not sure if its a side effect or not!

Hope all goes well tomorrow.

Best wishes,

LLamalover xx

• hope you get on ok tomorrow.

will be thinking about you. Stay strong

love n hugs

Wee Me x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm