Secondary brain metastases

• 7 replies
  • 53 subscribers

Hi all.  Don't know if anyone will see this!  Brain not working properly at mo as had radiotherapy week before last. Hair falling out freaking granddaughter out.  It's not 2 weeks yet since finishedSlight frownut feel rubbish and that I'll never feel normal again.   What if questions going through head but don't want to know answers, trying to keep the positive with the negative especially as I tend to feSlight frown better in the afternoon.  Is this all normal? Will I feel well in coming weeks?  Whilst sharing my feet are irritating but think it's to do with diabetes as had it before so worrying about clots etSlight frownand I've got a pile, to top it all off.  Slight frown

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community

I'm very sorry to read that you have brain metastases and that you're feeling rubbish after your recent radiotherapy.

I noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet and I hope you don't mind me suggesting that you might like to join and post in the secondary brain cancer group where you'll connect with others who can help with your questions.

I had a peek at your profile to see what your primary cancer is but you haven't completed it yet. If you let me know what it is I could give you a direct link to that group as well. Alternatively you could have a look through this list to find the right one if you wanted to.

When you feel up to it, it would be great if you could pop something about your journey with cancer into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Yes I agree with that I don’t have cancer my loved one dose SCLC metastatic secondary brain cancer uncertain of what’s to come terrifies me staying strong in his presence is hardest almost living life of fantasy only ever talk on recovery 

• Hi and welcome to the online community

I'm very sorry to read that you have a loved one with SCLC and secondary brain cancer and I know what an incredibly difficult time this will be for you both.

I can see that you've joined the supporting someone with incurable cancer group and I'm sure that you'll get lots of emotional support, as well as shared experience on practical matters, when you feel ready to post there.

Looking after someone with cancer can be very demanding and you may find having a look through this information from Macmillan helpful. It's also important to look after yourself as well and Macmillan have this information on emotional support for carers as well as this on practical support for carers.

If you feel that talking through how you feel would be helpful then I can certainly recommend giving the Macmillan Support Line a call on 0808 808 0000. It's free to call and there is someone available every day from 8am to 8pm.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember

Hello thank you so much for your understanding and thoughtfulness.

yes it’s so very sad watching my loved one almost fade away in front of me .iv often used the support line and online chat there amazing and comforting .sadly when the diagnosis was first made all family was calling me daily offering any support from practical to emotional was told I am not on my own .unfortunately this gradually got less and less a bit like when you loose someone close to you all of sudden all family are there doing all they can it dosnt last long .so I do feel alone and so great full I have your support line and call for any sort of support I need I simply have no words to how I feel and not knowing what tomorrow may bring it’s such a crule disease I feel helpless 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi 

I am the same as you! 
    even down to the pile ! Had to look twice to make sure it wasn’t me posting ! 
    in summary my lung cancer ( never smoked) spread to bones , knee, hip , ribs , spine then crept into my liver and up to my brain. I’ve finished radiotherapy last week too and wake up every day hoping my lopsided numb face may be a little better - I’m deaf on left too ! But it’s really taking its time to reveal any improvement  from the treatment. 
    A whole 5ml oromorph makes me sleep a2.5 ml doesn’t work .. and I just want to be awake in no pain! 
    I am taking the view atm to just enjoy some fattening foods, relax and watch some tv! .. maybe tomorrow will be better for me and for you ! 

• That's good to hear that you've found the Support Line and Online Chat comforting .

I found that people gradually forgot what I was going through/went through. I don't think they meant anything by it, as we're all still friends, but I think people can quickly forget. 

I know you're in a different position to that which I was in but perhaps you could ask family or friends to do specific things for you that would help. For example you could ask someone who lives close by if they could mow the lawn once a week and maybe someone else to sit with your loved one for a morning so that you can do something that you'd like to do. I think people find it easier to help if they're given specific responsibilities.

x

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember

Thank you I do reach out to McMillan support and my loved ones nurse is incredibly understanding and kind.it still somewhat confusing april he’s first told small tumour in lung not spread within 3 days I got told actually after more tests and biopsy he’s got metastatic SCLC spread to lymph nodes other parts of chest mass near lower bowl swelling above kidney and at least one ring lesion in Brain said it’s cancer .saw consultant 2 weeks ago arranged MRI on head concerned tumour had grown and arranged CT abdominal chest pelvis before 4th chemotherapy GP called said MRI results back all clear no tumour I just don’t know what to believe any more as we was told chemotherapy wouldn’t treat brain he’d need radiotherapy after chemo as they had to decide which to treat first.letter from consultant says without chemotherapy immunotherapy he’s got 6/12 months . With treatment adding few more months on.

then says if recurs they’d do another type of chemotherapy it’s all very confusing and almost conflicting information.this last week he seems a different person up more walking out to shops eating more but noticed his cough is returning which had completely gone he’s a heavy smoker and continues to be so I just don’t know what to think his 4 th chemotherapy is end of this week depending on ct results as consultant said a better response should have shown by now