Hi, this is a bit weird

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 33 replies
  • 52 subscribers

good afternoon folks.

Well I never imagined I’d be posting on a brain cancer group forum, but here we are. I got told I have a cancerous tumour on the 20th of December last year now. Yep, Happy Christmassssss Rolling eyes

I’m waiting an MRI Scan in March then an Op at Addenbrooke’s in April, my tumour or Cyril as he is called has not only given me membership to Cancer Club, but also Epileptic Club too. So sadly I can’t work at the moment, which means money is a bit tight on SSP, but we are muddling through somehow and the folks on the MacMillan help lines have as I’m sure you’ve all discovered been incredibly helpful.

So this is just a quick hello, I’m trying to deal with all this madness with humour, so forgive me if my flipant remarks offend anyone their certainly not meant too, just laughing at this is making it a hell of a lot easier to deal with.

Anyway, have a great afternoon everyone.

martin 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello Martin I'm new to this group iv just read your post .you sound a bit like me . I have just been diagnosed with a brain tumor and it's all a bit mad at the moment waiting to see what treatment iv  Thinking to get and like you I also have to make jokes about it as I find it easier to cope with, although I don't think my family are too happy with some of the things I say .Thinking I know how hard it is as iv had breast cancer before . thinking of you. and you will get through the rough times .

Barbaramary

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hiya, thank you for your message, it is as you say rather mind numbing and also funny at the same time, I tent to try and approach most things in life with humour as it helps get me through.

not sure if you do the facebook think, but I’ve been writing a blog on there (I have transferred it to here but without pictures and a few short ones I’ve written) if you would like to join the madness please do follow along with the other 200 odd happy souls who read my lunacy :) 

http://facebook.com/Cyril-the-Arsehole-493871191123112/

This is a link to the blog, if you ever want to chat or have questions please never feel afraid to shout up, either on here or on the blog page. We are all in this ‘cancer club’ as I refer to it, without being asked if we wanted to join, and we don’t even get a membership card or a Blue Peter style badge either Disappointed

take care and I wish you the very, very best of luck going through boob cancer is seriously punishment enough for any woman. Xx

cheers for now martin 

• FormerMember

Hi Martin how are you doing. I had a bit of a laugh when I read your post about Cyril the arsehole .I will need to find a name for mine , have you had your scan yet , you'lll not be looking forward to the surgery, you must be terrified about it , I can't get surgery because of where the tumor is , I'm going for another brain scan on Monday to see if tumor has grown again or if there's anymore, fingers crossed ,its crap having cancer you never think your going to get it so it's a big shock when they tell you ,as you know, sorry to hear your taking seizures and you can't work at the moment, more pressure and stress .I'm not working anymore but I have 3 grown up Children and 5 grandchildren to keep me going, have you got any family to help you through it .I don't have faceFace but I read some of your post ,we all have good day and bad days     Take care   mary

• FormerMember

Hi Mary,

thank you for your message it was very sweet of you to send it. Slight smile

I’m going for my long awaited scan on Friday, so we can see if Cyril has been on a diet or stuffing himself with Christmas chocolates for the last few months. I have a feeling the git has got bigger, as I’m having more and more ocassions where I either forget words or just can’t remember what things are called. Which is noth scary and annoying in pretty much equal measure.

I’m glad you’ve enjoyed reading about ‘him’ lol. I started writing just to help come to terms with everything and then a few friends suggested I post it online. He has his own Facebook page now.

I hope your scan went ok on Monday? I’m kind of 50/50 on the surgery, half of me is certainly crapping myself for sure, but the other weird part of me is both quiet excited and interested in the whole thing. I think they getting woken up halfway through to answer questions is going to be both weird, exciting and just plane odd all at the same time.

Anyway, enough of my rambling, be well, keep smiling and fingures crossed for both of us.

mart x

• FormerMember

Hi Martin and Cyril thanks for your message

it's good to speak to someone who understands the crap we're going through.sorry to hear you think Cyril has been stuffing his face , hopefully not , are you going to be wakend when they do your surgery  your a brave man to be going through that,  you sound like a very strong man with what's in front of you ,do you get a lot of headaches , I can't stand the pain at times and I'm getting a lot of blurred vision which is quite scary at times , it must be horrible for you forgetting your words or not remembering what something's are called, did you have your scan or is it tomorrow ,iv to go for another full body scan on Tuesday ,if it's tomorrow you go hope you get on ok  yeah good luck to both of us x take care

Mary X Slight smile

• FormerMember

Hi Mary,

yes scan is well today now I guess as its nearly 1am lol. I get the odd headache but thankfully not too many, I had a weird kalidascape thing with my left eye the other day, but thankfully laying down with my eyes shut listening to a talking book for half an hour got rid of it.

When I have the surgery, they will put me under to start with, open my noggin up and then bring me round for a while to ask me questions, then I think they put me back under again, but I’m not sure. I’ve been chatting to another nice lady called Tracy on here, who has had it done and told me what to expect and what they do, which has been very helpful. I want to see if they will do a selfie for me with all the operation staff in the background. Lol but then I have as I’m guessing you’ve worked out got a weird sense of humour.

anyway, I’m falling asleep here despite my best efforts to watch the Formula 1 first practise in Australia on the telly, so I’ll sign off for now. If I don’t speak to you before good luck on Tuesdsy, but if you’re bored I’m always happy to chat.

take care mart Slight smile

• Hi Mart

Don't know if this will get to you in time for your scan but hope it all goes well. I know you mentioned that you were going to go somewhere else for your scan today. I meant to mention that different scanners make different noises, some more than others. It doesn’t mean anything is wrong if it’s different. I’ve learned this as there are 4 at Queens Sq and one of them tries to take yourfilings out as well as look at your noggin. 

Let me know how you get on. 

Take care. 

T

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to TracyP

Hi T,

I hope you guys had a nice restful holiday, yesscan is this afternoon at Addenbrooke’s 3.45pm so just ‘keeping busy’ until Susie gets home from work to take me there.

I’m hoping I can get a sneaky peek at the scan just to see if Captain catastrophy has got any fatter or not, but we will have to see what the folks say on that. I let you know how I get on later.

mart 

• FormerMember

Hi Martin               how are you doing today, how did you get on with your scan last week, hope everything went well, I ended up having 2 scans last week , I'm so fed up with it all , I know you must be the same  it's just crap what we have to go through , just one thing after another , iv been so tired this week , I hate being like that ,have you got anymore appointments coming up ,iv to see the consultant on Tuesday afternoon for all scan results, I'm crapping it , do you ever think why it had to be us that has this shit illness .I still haven't came up with a name for my tumor yet lol .

Take care      Mary X 

• FormerMember

Hi Mary,

I’m glad you week has been successful, I have to be honest and say mine has been massively crap Disappointed

I had my scan just over a week ago at Addenbrooke’s but hadn’t heard or received anything by Friday so I called the neurologist folks. There is a huge back log on MRI Scans, so it could be up to 8 weeks before they can give me Scan results. As you can imagine hearing this was about as welcome as a fart in a space suit Disappointed as I’m supposed to be going for surgery next month.

I felt really very mehhh for the rest of Friday, but my eldest daughter came home from uni yesterday which is awesome as she hasn’t been home since Christmas.

I know what you mean about feeling drained and tired, I seem to have even worse insomnia now than I ever did before. If I get three or four hours sleep in a day/night I consider that as a very long kip. I’m sure you will be fine on Tuesday, makesure you have a good think of any questions you want answered and scribble them down before your meeting. Yes I know exactly what you mean about why us, if I was in a previous life I must have been a real arse Disappointed

Anyway, I wish you the very best of luck on Tuesday, I’ll be thinking of you and keeping my fingers crossed it goes well. Let me know how you get on xxx

mart