New and overwhelmed

• 2 replies
  • 35 subscribers

Hello  I'm new on here, this is all so overwhelming right now. My mother in law was diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma on Thursday. Monday she was told she has 4 to 6 months maximum to live. We're all so lost, don't know where to turn. We feel like cats caught in headlights right now. I'm just looking for support right now as I'm going to be taking on her care and I've promised to be with her every step of the way. Thank you for listening x 

• Hi Kerry, this is such a difficult time for you both. There are things you can do something about and things you can't. Focus on what you can do and accept what you can't. Focus on the present, what can you do to reassure them that they are loved, that you are there for them? Set short term positive goals to look forward to, this can be as simple as 'shall we go for a meal or walk in a park on Saturday'. 

Charities often offer carer counselling I would recommend this, remember you need to look after yourself for your mother-in-law's and your family's sake.

Sending hugs to you both

Andy

• HI Kerryfamily

a warm welcome to the online community. So sorry to hear about all that's going on. Life's too cruel at times.

I supported my late husband through the 3 years of his glioblastoma journey and I remember only too well how emotionally overwhelming the early days post -diagnosis were. Take things one step at a time and be gentle with yourselves while you process all that you've been told in the last week or so.  I'm guessing that you will have follow up appointments on the horizon so I suggest that you write down all your questions, fears and concerns and take those notes to the next appointment. If its preying on your mind, ask. There's no such thing as a silly question here. Those notes will also act as script and help you on track during the appointment as its all too easy to get swept up in what the doctors are saying and forget to ask about what's important to you.

This is a safe and supportive space so please reach out here anytime. There's always someone about to listen who gets it, someone to hold your hand and to offer a virtual hug when its needed. You're not alone. There's a couple of other groups that you might want to explore. I personally drew a lot of support from this community while I supported G through his journey.  Here's the links 

Cancer carers forum | Macmillan Online Community

Supporting someone with incurable cancer forum | Macmillan Online Community

I've written a few community blogs for this site and a couple of them might offer some support here too.

Caring for a partner with a brain tumour – a Community member’s story - Macmillan Online Community

“I’m fine”: how do you really cope as a carer? - Macmillan Online Community

It’s always good to talk so please remember that you can also call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, emotional support, benefit and financial guidance or just a listening ear.

For now though I'm sending you a huge virtual hug and lots of strength. 

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm