eating

• 5 replies
  • 36 subscribers

Hi 

Hope evsryone is doing ok. 

since my dad has had radiotherapy his appetite is slim to none and his on a waiting list to see a dietian. But his has no energy and some days doesnt eat anything has anyone else been through this 

• Hello. My mum’s appetite has been almost none existent now for nearly a month. She is losing weight and is tired all the time. She has spoken to the dietitian and gp and has the ensure drinks that have a high calorie content and lots of added vitamins and minerals. They have been slightly helpful so I would suggest giving them a try. We (family) are very concerned as nothing has really helped yet. My mums appetite seemed to dip a good 4-6 weeks after radiotherapy so I am not sure if it is related to that. I hope you find something that helps your dad.

• HI rainbowcloud4

sorry to hear that your dad's appetite has dipped. That's always a worry.

I can't say I noticed that my husband's appetite dipped when he went through his 6 weeks of radiotherapy, but his sense of taste seemed to change. He went right off creamy things for a good few weeks, and since then has gone off coffee too. He seems to crave salt constantly too. Although on the whole his appetite hasn't been too bad, he's still lost about a stone in weight since his cancer journey started. He is skin and bone. He's still runny so he's sinewy. Not really a good look to be honest but don't tell him I said that.

Everyone reacts differently and the various treatments and drugs seem to make folk feel less inclined to eat. If the dietician appointment maybe isn't forthcoming, you might want to have a chat to his medical team of the GP.

There's always someone around within the community to share their thoughts and experience so no doubt others will comment below. Please also remember that the MacMillan helpline is only a phone call away. The number is below.

Sending you love and light and hugs. Stay strong. 

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• It sucks doesn't it and frustrating we have an appointment with a dietition next week so fingers crossed. doesn't help he now has diabetes now 

• hi 

Thanks yea his tastebuds aren't great and the only thing he cannstomach at times is a jacket potato but that doesnt help with his diabetes which isn't currently getting treated as still awaiting an appointment. 

my dads legs are skinny we call him chicken legs although the doctor said he looks like a lemon on sticks lol. i think thats where he has lost his muscle in his legs as he doesn't have the energy to walk far now 

xx 

• Hi 

sorry to hear about your dad 

this didn’t happen to me but my oncologist warned it could 

she said that the most important thing is not to lose too much weight 

so if all he can stomach is some biscuits or something then it’s better than nothing 

my oncologist did say think of it as drs orders to eat as much chocolate as I want Joy