Post chemo anxiety

• 2 replies
  • 35 subscribers

My partner is due to finish his chemo this month after having surgery, then radio then chemo. I’m obviously excited but I also have this anxiety now that he is no longer being ‘treated’. 
I find myself looking up his cancer online (brain cancer) and obviously when you Google that you don’t see many positive articles. I guess I’m just looking for reassurance online, an article go say to me ‘no need to worry any more, the cancer is gone forever’.

I know everyone is different, some people never have a tumor reoccurrence, some do… and it’s something we can never predict. I’m scared, angry, upset but also excited for this chapter to be over, to continue with life (with MRI check ups every few months). I guess right now I’m just struggling and I’m nervous about what the future holds. This is just a bit of a ‘get it off my chest’ post. 
There is no handbook tailored to us all on how to deal with this. 

• Hi Teri96

a warm welcome to you.

Your anxiety is understandable and you're not alone in feeling that way. The whole treatment cycle becomes such a huge part of life for that period of time that when it ends it feels like there is this void of unknown.  This is perfectly normal. If you think back to the start of the treatment, you most likely had to adjust to the new routine. Now the time has come to re-adjust again. It takes time so go easy on yourself here.

Maintenance MRI scans, especially the first one post treatment completion, are just to check that the treatment did its job. 

My husband was diagnosed with a stage 4 brain tumour in Sept 2020. Post-surgery he had 6 weeks of radiotherapy/chemo combined. That meant a 60+ mile round trip to the hospital 5 days a week for 6 weeks. It took over our lives. Re-adjusting took time though even though it was a huge relief to know he'd come through it with minimal side effects. 

As you say everyone is different here, but I truly hope this has all been successful for your husband and that you can both look forwards now

This group is a safe and supportive space so please reach out anytime.There's always someone around to listen who gets it. You can also reach out via the helpline too. The number is below.

For now I'm sending you both positive energy, love and light and hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• As said below your anxiety is normal. Everyone is different and every tumour is different so nobody can predict for sure, but I have a inoperable tumour and have had radiotherapy and 12 months of chemo and have not had any chemotherapy for 4 months - aside from some mobility issues I’m ok

August scan everything was stable 

just waiting on November scans

before I started treatment my Oncologist told me about two of her other patients that were comparable to me, obviously without naming names.

One was 10 years post treatment and doing great 

the other was 5 years post treatment, up and down but generally ok

so there are positive stories even though the statistics online very bleak